Honored Contributor

Re: Donna Salyers -Fabric Face Masks

@ValuSkr wrote:

She has so many different styles - to coordinate with your outfit I suppose.  By the way, her masks are two-layer construction but apparently don't have a filter. They have a slit on one side in case you want to insert "additional protection," i.e. a filter.

@ValuSkr  - good to know. TY. For a filter I read that coffee filters are good to use

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic 

Your masks are really nice!

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this.  Your elastics look about the same size as mine, so maybe mine will be all right.

I'm going to work on them tomorrow as I'm still waiting for two cloth masks I ordered over a month ago on Etsy.  I thought it would be quicker than making my own, but the sewer must have gotten overwhelmed and shipping was delayed.

I'm not going to go crazy about it as we have some OLD masks used with my father-in-law was having in-home treatment and sterile masks had to be used.  They aren't the surgical masks, but work fine for going out.  However, they are not soft.

Thanks, again!

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tip, Chi-town girl!  Cute prints.  I ordered the mini leopard.  She had a couple others I liked, but they were out of stock.  The animal kingdom and tie-dyed ones.  They seem like good quality.

Honored Contributor

I think a cloth mask needs a pocket on the inside where you can put in a filter (e.g. piece of paper towel) to catch more tiny virus particles. I also prefer that a cloth mask fastens with ties (four of them ---two on top, two on the bottom) rather than elastic to get a more custom fit.

@itsmagic your masks look very nice.

I'm sure not looking forward to wearing a mask when it's 90 degrees and super humid outside.
Honored Contributor

I ordered the large leopard print, the black and the white.  They came all together in a plastic sleeve quite quickly.

But I noticed a heavy perfume scent as soon as I opened the sleeve.

I once returned a faux fur poncho to ShopNBC because it had a heavy perfume smell---afraid it was a return.

Now I'm wondering if someone who ships from FF is just heavily perfumed.

Haven't washed them yet, but will probably put them in baggies and leave them in the consoles of our vehicles.

Am driving myself nuts making sure each is equipped with new masks and gloves.  Can't leave hand sanitizers in there because of the heat.