Trusted Contributor

I have donated shoes and I have also sold shoes on ebay. I wasn't sure someone would want them, but they sold. The hard part is that shoes are expensive to mail.

Honored Contributor

If you have worn out sneakers, you can recycle them:

REUSE-A-SHOE

MAY 29, 2013

Worn out. Play on. Turn your old sneakers into places to play.

Nike Reuse-a-Shoe takes worn out athletic shoes and grinds them down to create a new material called Nike Grind, which is used to make high-quality sports surfaces including courts, turf fields, tracks and more.

nike-better-world-summer13-reuseashoe-inline_1.jpg

Since 1990, we’ve transformed 28 million pairs of shoes and 36,000 tons of scrap material into Nike Grind for use in more than 450,000 locations around the world.

nike-better-world-summer13-reuseashoe-inline_2.jpg

Nike Grind end-products cover approximately 632,000,000 square feet. Nearly enough to cover the entire island of Manhattan (23 square miles).

Trusted Contributor

I would only donate shoes in pristine condition.

Respected Contributor

Yes, but only gently worn. If they show significant wear, I toss.(and I wear expensive shoes)

Respected Contributor

If they are in good condition, you could take them to a consignment store. I just did that with five pairs of shoes that I only wore a few times each.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I donate shoes and clothing in wearable condition ... and let the Salvation Army make the decision what to keep and what to dispose of.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I donate gently worn shoes probably once a year. If they are well worn, I toss in the trash.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I recently donated about 30 pairs of shoes because they hurt my feet or didn't fit my feet as my feet have gotten a bit wider in the forefoot. Some were new and unworn or seldom worn. Any shoes that are worn looking I throw out. I figure that someone will be able to wear them!

Occasional Contributor

New, slightly worn, or worn. Donate. I have browsed and shopped at Goodwill stores over the years and see all types of shoes each visit. People buy the worn shoe just as quickly as the new or slightly worn for yard work , painting , fishing , construction , etc... (smart) . I have donated every type of shoe from family on regular basis over the years , if it is a sneaker just throw it in the washer first ( if needed) . {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

lolakimono -- didn't know about the Nike program. That's very cool. Thanks.