Honored Contributor

Re: Don’t Show Socks with Sneakers?

@wilma wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

unbelievable.  LOL.  I thought we were long past "fashion rules."

p.s. no one cares

@Bhvbum 

Yes, I agree, there are no fashion rules anymore. This is a fashion forum to discuss these things though. Just a thread to discuss socks with sneakers. Obviously, people care because they are lots of replies to this thread. 

What a rude post @Bhvbum .  Obviously a lot of people care with all the replies.  

Respected Contributor

@wilma  I wasn't calling you out or implying that you should have better things to think about. My apologies if that's how it sounded. I was simply speaking about myself. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@wilma  I wasn't calling you out or implying that you should have better things to think about. My apologies if that's how it sounded. I was simply speaking about myself. 

@fairydogmother 

Thanks for clarifying your post. 

Honored Contributor

If people weren't showing off their socks they wouldn't still be making cute ones. I don't have a problem with sock showing (or not) but living in SFL I don't wear them nor do I wear sneakers.

The only socks that don't look so good are the skin socks my husband wears on the weekends when he goes without real sucks!

Honored Contributor

I don't wear sneakers,but Unless I am wearing sandals, I wear socks.  I don't care if they  show or not.

I think it is gross to wear a closed shoe without socks.  All that sweat in your shoes.  I would have to be able to launder my shoes.  It's like putting on dirty underware in my mind.

I am lucky that my feet don't sweat...they are usually too cold for that, but I know that feet have sweat glands...that's enough to convince me to wear washable socks.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't wear sneakers,but Unless I am wearing sandals, I wear socks.  I don't care if they  show or not.

I think it is gross to wear a closed shoe without socks.  All that sweat in your shoes.  I would have to be able to launder my shoes.  It's like putting on dirty underware in my mind.

I am lucky that my feet don't sweat...they are usually too cold for that, but I know that feet have sweat glands...that's enough to convince me to wear washable socks.

@Carmie 

There are exceptions to every rule.  I do not have sweaty feet and have some shoes that don't work with socks ... like clogs, for instance.  Socks would be ridiculous with clogs or ballet-type flat shoes. 

Here's another example of wearing shoes without socks ... Don Johnson helped start a trend while on Miami Vice.   Looks darn good on him, IMO.

Image 1 - MIAMI VICE - TV SHOW PHOTO #56 - Don Johnson + Philip Michael Thomas

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'm old and not a YouTuber and I have never liked socks showing.

@QVCkitty1 

I guess this is out then Woman Very Happy

jf2021|jelly shoes heels, OFF-74% Free delivery!www.senarm.com.mx

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I exclusively wear clogs when I am not wearing sandals and I always wear socks with them.  I don't wear closed shoes...no boots,  no slip on's or tie shoes.

I like the looks of closed shoes,, they are just very uncomfortable and shoes rub my feet and I get blisters without socks, so I stick with clogs, mules and sandals. 

I had surgery on one foot to help with the rubbing, but it didn't work. ( Haglund deformity) so, I never got the surgery for the other foot.

My sister's husband hasn't worn socks since he was a small child.  He doesn't tie his shoes laces either.  He just lets the stringsw hang until they wear away and don't drag on the ground anymore.

When they got married, he wore a tux and dress shoes..no socks.  I thought he looked ridiculous.  That was about 40 years ago on December 20... it was cold and icy out.

We should all dress for comfort.

........wondering if I look awful with clogs and socks......

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'm old and not a YouTuber and I have never liked socks showing.

@QVCkitty1 

I guess this is out then Woman Very Happy

jf2021|jelly shoes heels, OFF-74% Free delivery!www.senarm.com.mx

@tiny 2 , Definitely !  I think when I was I kid I was scarred by the older woman next door. She wore her husband's argyle socks with her dress shoes . I remember it to this day, LOL.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

I don't like to wear socks that cover the ankles. I'm self conscious about my athletic legs. When my ankles are covered my legs look bigger. I do wear the shorter version that barely shows above my sneakers- haven't mastered the no-shows. They always slip down in my shoes. In winter with long pants anything to keep my feet warm.