Honored Contributor

Don’t Show Socks with Sneakers?

[ Edited ]

Do you care if your socks show when you're wearing sneakers? 

A lot of fashion YouTubers say that showing your socks with sneakers ruins your look. It's supposedly "dating" us. Even the women YouTubers over 50 are saying socks can't show anymore. Evidently, wearing ankle socks and crew socks with your sneakers, jeans, and shorts is a real "no- no".  No socks or no show socks are the preferred style now. 

Here is what I usually wear in summer with my sneakers and shorts. It may not be "current", but I don't think this ruins my look. 
B0B8EE0E-B68A-45A2-8301-13F864694426.jpeg

I did try a pair of the low cut no show socks with them recently.

106FF2AE-BB58-4B97-BAA3-1647F989D6B6.jpeg

I like the look, but, oh, my...

The no show sock kept slipping down my heel even though the sock had a grippy thing. The sneaker rubbed on the top of my foot. Very uncomfortable. 

Even in cold weather the fashion YouTubers are saying you still need to see a bit of ankle between your shoe and jean hem. My ankles would get cold if I wore no show socks. Again, I don't think crew socks ruin my look. I just don't understand how socks with jeans and sneakers is a bad look.

My cold weather sneaker with sock showing

72DF9DE3-0AA1-478F-B406-CDB7F9021530.jpeg

My cold weather sneaker with a no show sock
8601C6BB-946D-477D-81EB-478929C36642.jpeg

What do you think about socks showing? Do you think they ruin a look? Is this just another "attack" on baby boomer fashion? For the record I am a baby boomer who will continue to wear socks as needed. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Don’t Show Socks with Sneakers?

I pretty much only wear Skechers boat shoes. I like the pop of color from an ankle sock.

Like you, I cannot stand no-shows.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I do exactly as you do.  A little bit of sock shows when I wear sneakers with shorts/pedal pushers/capris/skorts and dresses.  When I wear long pants, I have a higher ankle sock or over the calf socks for dressier pants.

I could not care less what the You tubers say or think.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I agree that no-show socks are no good. I wear socks. I like socks. I dress for myself. Don't give a whit about what others think, especially unknown twerps on YouTube.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma 

To answer your question, I'm a baby boomer and I haven't worn socks with my tennis shoes (what we call sneakers around here) in years.  Socks showing just don't look right to my eye anymore.  But I live in a very warm climate where cold ankles are rarely an issue. (February, maybe?)

The low cut type of socks all ride down my narrow heel into the shoe in about 5 minutes.  I don't judge what anyone else wants to wear, but that's how I wear mine.  And no, I don't have stinky shoes.

ETA I don't watch YouTube bloggers.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@wilma 

To answer your question, I'm a baby boomer and I haven't worn socks with my tennis shoes (what we call sneakers around here) in years.  Socks showing just don't look right to my eye anymore.  But I live in a very warm climate where cold ankles are rarely an issue. (February, maybe?)

The low cut type of socks all ride down my narrow heel into the shoe in about 5 minutes.  I don't judge what anyone else wants to wear, but that's how I wear mine.  And no, I don't have stinky shoes.

@shoesnbags 

I think my narrow heel is causing the same issue with those low cut socks.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't follow most YouTubers.  Next year they'll change and say that showing socks is in fashion. So everyone has to look the same now? Maybe the YouTubers are the dated ones. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I only wear long pants.

In the summer, I usually wear knee-high stockings w/all my footwear.

In the cooler weather - trouser socks or ankle socks either the same color as my shoes or the color of my pants.

I couldn't care less if my socks are showing.  My feet / my socks / my choice.

Respected Contributor

I always wear socks with sneakers.   In the summer I usually wear the socks that just cover your foot.  In the winter I always wear full socks.

i couldn't imagine not wearing socks unless I'm wearing sandals.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't wear socks with shoes. 

However, make the decision for what makes you feel comfortable. Not what some Ytuber say's is in fashion. 

I forgot to mention that I am from Southern California, so perhaps it's a regional thing. LOL