Respected Contributor

Re: Does your husband help around the house??

My husband is in his 30's, and when we got married, I told him that I work just as much as he does, so he could help me around the house. He doesn't like doing house cleaning, so we have a housekeeper 1-2x/month to clean the whole house (fine with me!). He helps fold laundry, takes out the trash, and unloads the dishwasher. I pay the bills, run errands and do grocery shopping, as well as extra stuff. It (usually) works for us. When we entertain, which is fairly regularly, I buy all of the food/etc, but he helps a LOT in cooking, cleanup, etc. Every once in a while we have to have a "Family meeting" so I hit his reset button if he's slacking. Smiley Wink But I make sure to do it in a sweet way, because I don't like to nag.
Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2015 FUTURE said: My husband is in his 30's, and when we got married, I told him that I work just as much as he does, so he could help me around the house. He doesn't like doing house cleaning, so we have a housekeeper 1-2x/month to clean the whole house (fine with me!). He helps fold laundry, takes out the trash, and unloads the dishwasher. I pay the bills, run errands and do grocery shopping, as well as extra stuff. It (usually) works for us. When we entertain, which is fairly regularly, I buy all of the food/etc, but he helps a LOT in cooking, cleanup, etc. Every once in a while we have to have a "Family meeting" so I hit his reset button if he's slacking. Smiley Wink But I make sure to do it in a sweet way, because I don't like to nag.

Oh you nag all the time!{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

You ladies are all VERY fortunate your DH's help out a lot. My DH doesn't do much inside the home, but it is probably my fault. I make him put his clothes in the washer, but I start the washer as he'll put jeans on a gentle setting, put in too much detergent, etc. LOL. I don't take his clothing out of the dryer. He has to. Since I don't cook a lot, it's not a big deal that he doesn't cook. I wouldn't like what he made anyway! I refuse to do yard work so he has to. I pay all bills, and I do the majority of the grocery shopping unless I give him a very specific list. He keeps track of the 401K, etc., but I pay the monthly bills and manage the rest of the finances.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

Uhhh.....noooooo.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Of course he does.

Esteemed Contributor

I am no longer married but my ex was a better house cleaner then me...

Wish I could hire him to clean my place now.....haha...

Honored Contributor

It's his house too. LOL

Yes, he helps. Since I work from home, I do more. But when he's home, he's always doing something.

I laugh because as soon as he walks through the door, he straightens out the pillows and afghans. He likes them a certain way. LOL

Honored Contributor

No because I like things done my way and he'll do them his way and it's not the right way. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

He does the outside work like mowing the grass, trimming, edging, weed wacking. We have a woodburner so he chops the wood and makes sure the utility cart has wood for fires to be built. He is very handy around the house so when something needs to be fixed, he can do it. He also does 99% of any remodeling around the house that we want done.

When we had older cars, he did all the maintenance on them. When he got tired of fixing my car every other week, he tricked me into going to a car dealership and we bought a new one. I'm still mad about that. LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yes, of course. I'm more picky than him but he does help a lot. He lives here too!
Super Contributor

My gosh no, it's always a struggle....I do all of the housecleaning including picking up after all of his messes! I have to ask him to take the garbage out too. I do all the laundry and have to ask constantly if he can put the loads of his laundry away. I just figured all men were like this! He makes a good living, so I try not to complain. He is 50 and he's not gonna change. I work full time and pretty much clean on the weekends.