Frequent Contributor

Does "everything" have to have spandex?

I am so over all the "thin" material being used for tops.  So over all the spandex.  I have some clothing from the Q that were 100% cotton...no rayon....no spandex....etc. and they have held up for years.  They were not "throwaway" clothing.  Thin material and spandex clings to the body....it's horrible.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does "everything" have to have spandex?

I so agree.....there is nothing like wearing a T-Shirt that has a nice beefy weight....I refuse to purchase thin, see thru t shirts.....and I'd love a pair of jeans with out spandex.

Honored Contributor

I see heaps of clothing without spandex

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased some D & C tops to wear on my trip to Florida in the fall a few years ago and boy did that Spandex content made me sweat! I didn't think it would be a problem since it wasn't that much in the top, but it was...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They don't cling if you buy the right size.

Years ago when spandex first came on strong, manufacturers were making everything skintight, but they don't do that any longer.  I'm just not sure why some think all garments with spandex are so clingy.  Mine aren't, plus they are ever so much easier to take off and put on.

Now, if what you are really saying is that a particular style has spandex and you wish you could buy it but you're just not having it because there is spandex in it, then it's kind of up to you, isn't it, to look for something similar without spandex?  I think we do that as shoppers just in general.  I know that if something I like doesn't have features I like, I look for something else.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I dislike Denim & Co. Perfect Jersey, which has 95% cotton and 5% Spandex. I won't buy it. It feels rubbery to me and does not hang nicely. 

However, I might like a lower amount than 5%, maybe 2% or 1% Spandex. Low amounts don't cling and texture is alright. It also helps cotton to not wrinkle. 

I would never purchase anything from Renee, WIC, with l6% Spandex. 

Honored Contributor

Everything - no.  But not all cotton is the same -  I've had good and I've had horrifically bad. 

Same with spandex and rayon and silk and wool and poly -  there are grades of everyone of them.

One of the reasons I'll push to buy my clothing locally as long as that's possible is those grades.  My own fingers and eyes tell me better what I'm buying than any statistics, better than any vendor or host talk, better than any catalog.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach I completely agree with you! None of my Denim & Co. 95/5 tees cling, and that includes the 9 or 10 I just bought in 2 different styles. And they're not hot, either. On the other hand, the 100% cotton Hanes Beefy-T's I used to buy were so heavy and hot I couldn't stand them. Plus, they didn't hold up to washing--they faded, and stretched out of shape. Most 100% cotton things I've ever had do.

I want spandex in my jeans, too. The 100% cotton ones cut me in the waist when I bend over, no matter how well they fit.

There's something out there for all of us!

Oh, and I'm wearing my Women with Control 14% spandex ponte knit leggings right now, and I'm extremely comfortable!

Honored Contributor

@vermint

@vermintwrote:

@GingerPeach I completely agree with you! None of my Denim & Co. 95/5 tees cling, and that includes the 9 or 10 I just bought in 2 different styles. And they're not hot, either. On the other hand, the 100% cotton Hanes Beefy-T's I used to buy were so heavy and hot I couldn't stand them. Plus, they didn't hold up to washing--they faded, and stretched out of shape. Most 100% cotton things I've ever had do.

I want spandex in my jeans, too. The 100% cotton ones cut me in the waist when I bend over, no matter how well they fit.

There's something out there for all of us!

Oh, and I'm wearing my Women with Control 14% spandex ponte knit leggings right now, and I'm extremely comfortable!

@vermint  So true, so true indeed!  

Actually, I agree with everything you said, not just the red highlighted portion.  Woman Happy  (Except I don't wear leggings, but I do have some WIC "slim" pants and they are quite comfy, in all sorts of weather.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Yup!    I have broad shoulders, and I'd be pulling the armhole seams out if the fabric didn't give a little when I move......

♥Surface of the Sun♥