Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone sew their own clothing?

@ID2 wrote:

Yes, I'm a seamstress. I sewed a lot of my clothes when I worked and when I was newly married and money was tight. I sewed all of my childrens clothes at the time. I have fond memories when looking at photos of my kids wearing the cute clothes I made. Sewing is so easy and a lost art. It drives me insane when I read on here that women take their clothing in to be hemmed. Really? Sewing is soooooo easy to do it yourself. 

Really...?

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I have years ago.  I used Vogue patterns and did a lot of hand work.   Then, I had children, which in addition to my career and family life seeing became less and less.

I can sew anything I want, but I can't get the beautiful fabrics any longer.  I loved teaching construction and tailoring. Smiley Happy

I might add that next time after you cut out the pattern you overlap the seam lines of the appropriate piece and pin on the stitching line creating a paper garment.  It will allow you to make adjustments. 

I used to love Vogue patterns! But finding pretty fabrics has become such a problem. I live in a small town and the only fabric source is JoAnn's. Their fabrics tend to be low quality. All the good fabric stores shut down years ago. I've tried buying online but it becomes a pricey proposition when you're buying swatches. Where did you teach tailoring? 

@AuntMame I taught tailoring as part of my class load as a teacher.  I loved that, but loved my Interior Design classes more.

Students took their work home and adults were asking if I could do adult classes, as well as other teachers.  I had two young sons and I couldn't stay after school that long, and they wouldn't have kept the building open for that.

People sewed less, so fewer students signed up for tailoring and took design instead with all of the students that signed up for design origonally.

Honored Contributor

My mom used to sew a lot of clothes for my sister and me when we were younger and for herself.  I remember back in the day, she used to make herself long skirts or dresses for special events and for holidays, we always had matching clothes, courtesey of my mom.  LOL  I still look back at pictures and giggle fondly at my sister and I in matching jumpers and my mom in the matching long skirt.  Then my mom decided it had gotten too expensive between patterns and fabrics and she began too work and didn't have the time.  

I never learned to sew from my mom and I never took home ec in school to learn either.  So yes, I'm one of "those" people that takes her clothing somewhere to have it hemmed or the waist taken in or altered in any other way.  I'd rather have someone that knows how to do it handle it than me messing up a quality garment trying to do it myself.    

Super Contributor

I used to sew all my clothing and was voted best dressed in High School! Sewed through college and through out my 30's.

My Mom was a seamstress and taught all her 5 daughters to sew. My  younger sister went to Fashion Institute of Design in Manhattan.    My favorite patterns were Vogue because my sister worked for them for a while so we had a lot of Vogue patterns Smiley Very Happy 

Then came kids and family so I kind of stopped.  However several years ago, Hancock fabrics closed in my area and I purchased loads of fabric and patterns that were selling  for $1-$3.  I recently purchased a Husqvarna Viking sewing machine and slowly getting back to it at 50!  I love it!