Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone sew their own clothing?

@AuntMame 

Like others responding, I used to sew all my clothing.   My mother taught me.

$40 for a pattern seems awfully pricey.

I agree with the poster who mentioned a dress form.  But, if you are not going to continue to sew, it will be a wasted expense.

Honored Contributor

My mother did.  She just about had to because she had 4 children, 3 of them a year apart.  So she made our clothes.  She was good seamstress.  Our clothes looked store bought. 

Because cheap "fast fashion" clothes exploded in the 2000 decade, good fabric is very expensive.  People don't want to buy good quality clothes that cost $300.00 & up.  They want to buy tops under $20.00, etc. So less people sew anymore.  

Honored Contributor

I sewed a lot in HS and college, these days fabric stores are difficult to find

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I absolutely hate to sew. However, I admire people that do it well

Couldn’t agree with you more. I can barely sew on a button. And hemming pants, forget about it. I hated it when I had to do it in Home Ec in school. I guess I’m to impatient. 

Honored Contributor

I made my own clothes for years.  Since the mid 90s, my sewing machine has been in the bottom of the closet.   (It's one of those really old Singer machines in the big wooden box ... horizontal bobbin.  Just sews straight - no reverse. I inherited it from an aunt who was born in 1901!)

These days, the only sewing I do alterations on the clothes I buy.  I have a small portable sewing machine for that.  

I rather knit and crochet than sew.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Ditto!!!! HATE to sew!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my past life I was a professional dressmaker. My specialty was formal gowns and cocktail dresses. I made many prom and bridesmaid gowns. I learned how to sew when I was a little girl. My mom was also a professional seamstress.

I've had the privilege to handle some of the finest silk, wool and velvet fabrics from around the world. A real treat from back in my days of sewing.

Esteemed Contributor

I took sewing in Home Ec. & hated it.  After we were married and had our ds, I worked at home at Christmas time.  My DH told me that if I paid for half of a new sewing machine, he would pay the rest of it as my Christmas gift.  Best gift that I ever got.  I made our ds the cutest outfits.

When our dd came along 2 1/2 years later,  I made all of her clothes & mine too.  She loved long dresses & they were so cute.

When  I was diagnosed with CIDP in 2001,  I stopped sewing because I couldn't pin or cut the fabrics.

I have been sewing for several years & love it.

In May we were in Shipshewana, IN & I found a wonderful Amish fabric shop.    Lot's of fabrics in the $6-$8 a yard.  I made a white skirt for $6 &  another skirt for less than $6.   I still use my $1.50  patterns from a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Couldn’t agree with you more. I can barely sew on a button. And hemming pants, forget about it. I hated it when I had to do it in Home Ec in school. I guess I’m to impatient. 

@Meowingkitty 

that is the last time i did it.....home ec class in junior high school. i made a skirt, a sundress, and a pillow.

i will sew buttons on though.

thank goodness for great local shops that do alterations and repairs!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yes I did--made my wedding dress in 1975. And then sewed for my 2 kids when they were little. Did some window valances too ;but haven't sewed much in many years.  Learned to sew when I was prob 7 or 8. Still have a machine and a serger too.