Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember the time frame Koos was on Q?

@baker wrote:

I had a few things from his line that I donated years ago, I don't think I ever woer any of the clothing out in public. I came across a purse of his in my closet   last week and I do remember using the purse though.

I don't  recall him ever doing a purse!  Maybe I've just forgotten.

That apron he wore on each show was pretty dumb.

Honored Contributor

I never bought any Koos, but I do know my sister-in-law gave me a jacket more than 10 years ago and I gave that jacket to a girlfriend.  I think I saw it once after that.  No idea if it's still alive.

Honored Contributor

Interesting article from the NY Times when he passed away at age 75 in Feb. of this year.   He sure looks different in the photo than he did on QVC, and he was younger on QVC then I thought he was!  He seemed like a grumpy old geezer (but I liked his clothes).  I think the hosts used to have a hard time with him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/nyregion/koos-van-den-akker-designer-of-bill-cosbys-famous-sweater...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i believe one of the last shows koos did was one of those all clearance shows, either very late at night or during the middle of the night. that has been well over 5+ years ago. he seemed to be quite sad that night.

i still have and wear some of his clothing.......loved it. so well made and unique.

three items i know i still have for sure.......a TSV that he did that was a mixed media leather jacket. there was also a top that was sold as an upsell that i have also. another jacket of his was another mixed media reversible jacket. velvet on one side and a matte satin finish with a design on the other side.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Late 90's, I'm thinking.  I haven't thought of KOO's for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

According to Wikipedia Koos was on QVC from 1998 - 2006.

that definitely sounds like the correct time frame.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Koos

from his FB page ... reminds me of some of his QVC stuff

Respected Contributor

From the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/14/magazine/fashion-takes-a-seat.html  "The designer's mass-produced fusion line, Koos of Course, has been a best seller on QVC for three years." article written April 14, 2002. From other bits and pieces I've seen on google, I think WIKI is accurate.

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking about him the other day.  In particular, one instance when he called Lisa Robertson something unflattering during one of his presentations (I've forgotten the specifics) but she handled it well and said something like, and now he's insulting me, but with a forced smile on her face.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  Leave it to LR to insult the guest vendor she worked with.  She did this often as I recall, saying very curt things all the while with a grin on her face.

I remember Koos, it always seemed to me that most everyone really loved him and his wears.  His items always sold out.  He was a seamstress way beyond his years of creativity.  I may get reamed for saying this about him.  I though he was great, and him wearing his apron was just part of his thing called sewing.