Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone order from Talbots?

A lot of my clothes come from there now, I usually wait for a sale.  The clothes are so well made.  I'm tall and the dresses are long enough.  I think you would be a medium, which is a 8/10. The large is a 12/14.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

I got an email yesterday and there are some shirts I really liked but not sure how the sizing goes. I usually wear a 10 in a shirt. I have a couple of Logo tops and have to get small in those because they seem to run big. Wondered if a small in Talbots would be big enough.

Hi @Nadine ...  I had never ordered anything from Talbots until about a month ago.  SInce then I have ordered 4 items and have been very pleased with all of them.  I normally wear a size 4 or 6 petite.  So I have ordered a size small and everything fits perfectly.  If you wear a size 10 I would go for the medium.  

Honored Contributor

I stand by my opinion that Talbot's is not a good place to order from online, esp. the first time.  Go to a store and try things on.   Even when I do order online, I've most often tried the thing on at the store first, and later when it's on sale ordered it online.  

Also there is never a S&H charge if a store doesn't have your size or color in something and you call the company from the dedicated phone in the store to do that. They ship your correct size/color to your home free of charge.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for the help. Going in to the store first time is good advice. But I think I'll order one shirt that's on sale in M to see how it fits. Don't know what return policy is on sale items so I need to check that out before I order.

Respected Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@Pearlee

Thank you for such good input on Talbot's sizing. I have a friend who has tried the side zip ankle pants from Talbots and just raves about the quality and fit. But I have a really hard time w/ buying pants on line from anyone. Your input leads me to believe I would probably be unhappy ordering pants on line from Talbots. Probably need to wander to a an actual store. Smiley Happy

@kate2357 I've had great difficulty ordering pants online over the years from Talbots. They did actually refit their pants several years ago at which point business really dropped. They have now tweaked it again bringing it more in line with the general fit found everywhere. I still can't order online using their sizing charts. I should wear a six in a pant, but I need a four. I went in once to return 4 pairs that everyone raved about and was told that you really should go into the store to try the things on, then  order online once you've figured out what fits. I wear an xs or small in LOGO, but need an 8  in a blouse, and usually a small in knit tops or xs in coats in Talbots. I lean away from them at this point because of limited selection in stores to try on. I find their fit less forgiving than a QVC brand, but a finer fit if you can get it right.

I'm a big Talbots shopper, and my luck with pants comes and goes depending on the fits they offer at any point in time. I did very well years ago when there weren't different variations, then they tweaked their fits and I didn't have luck for a while. Of late, I was very pleased with their Heritage fit . . . which is now gone (again). I have very little success currently, as I am not quite curvy enough for the Curvy fit but have problems with gapping at the back of the waist with the other fit. I'm sure they will adjust things at some point in the future, and maybe I'll have better luck again.

Valued Contributor

I, too, am a Talbot's girl.  Their sizing runs much smaller than the Q.  I always wear a large top at the Q and get an XL from Talbots.  Love their clothes!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Trusted Contributor

I haven't shopped as much at Talbots as I have Ann Taylor or Loft, but sizing in pants is always a bit inconsistent at all these stores.  I usually need the more straight cut than curvy.  I find that I take either a 4 or 6 depending on the cut of pants.  Usually if you do a phone exchange they waive the shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

When Talbot's has a end of season clearance sale it is really a sale. Puts the QVC version of clearance pricing to shame.

Esteemed Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@Pearlee

Thank you for such good input on Talbot's sizing. I have a friend who has tried the side zip ankle pants from Talbots and just raves about the quality and fit. But I have a really hard time w/ buying pants on line from anyone. Your input leads me to believe I would probably be unhappy ordering pants on line from Talbots. Probably need to wander to a an actual store. Smiley Happy

@kate2357 I've had great difficulty ordering pants online over the years from Talbots. They did actually refit their pants several years ago at which point business really dropped. They have now tweaked it again bringing it more in line with the general fit found everywhere. I still can't order online using their sizing charts. I should wear a six in a pant, but I need a four. I went in once to return 4 pairs that everyone raved about and was told that you really should go into the store to try the things on, then  order online once you've figured out what fits. I wear an xs or small in LOGO, but need an 8  in a blouse, and usually a small in knit tops or xs in coats in Talbots. I lean away from them at this point because of limited selection in stores to try on. I find their fit less forgiving than a QVC brand, but a finer fit if you can get it right.

Thanks for the input. I just have to find time to go try on some pants. They had a couple of styles of ankle pants I found appealing ... but I have no idea if I'm a 6 or an 8 w/ their pants or heck a 10 as I like slim leg pants ... but not leggings or tight legs. I keep forgetting it's only February and there's not this huge rush to get pants for spring/summer. But goodness, it was in the high 60's here this past week, so I'm thinking spring.

The cool and rainy is back today. Probably all my fault for even thinking about spring clothes. Smiley Happy

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@skuggles wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@Pearlee

I'm a big Talbots shopper, and my luck with pants comes and goes depending on the fits they offer at any point in time. I did very well years ago when there weren't different variations, then they tweaked their fits and I didn't have luck for a while. Of late, I was very pleased with their Heritage fit . . . which is now gone (again). I have very little success currently, as I am not quite curvy enough for the Curvy fit but have problems with gapping at the back of the waist with the other fit. I'm sure they will adjust things at some point in the future, and maybe I'll have better luck again.

(Replying to my own post)

And . . . just like that, I found a pair of pants at the store today that fit perfectly! Flawless five-pocket ankle jeans in Dove Gray. Love them!