Honored Contributor

Does anyone here wear Crepe?

[ Edited ]

Crepe is a type of silk or wool treated in such a way, that it crinkles or crimps.  I was at Nordstrom the other day and saw a dress made of it.  Expensive because of the silk, but interesting as a dress.  Then I saw a similar dress on Shopbop.  That was made out of 100% silk crepe.

Close up of Crepe

Image result for crepe  (fabric)

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here wear Crepe?

If I saw something I liked I would buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

The only Eileen Fisher item in my wardrobe is a pair of black crepe pants I scored at Nordstrom Rack. Best pants I have ever owned. I will have them for years to come.

Of all my many, many pairs of black pants, if I could have just one pair, the EF crepe would be it, no need to give it a second thought.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

The only Eileen Fisher item in my wardrobe is a pair of black crepe pants I scored at Nordstrom Rack. Best pants I have ever owned. I will have them for years to come.

Of all my many, many pairs of black pants, if I could have just one pair, the EF crepe would be it, no need to give it a second thought.

How do you care for it?  Hand wash?

Respected Contributor

I love the hand of crepe (wool or silk and now some synthetics).  Years ago I made a white wool crepe suit that draped beautifully and wore like iron...until the dry cleaners threw it in with something they shouldn't have and ruined it.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird : I believe the pants are poly crepe, so machine wash, hang to dry.

I also have an Isaac stretch poly crepe dress. Love the fabric!

Honored Contributor

I wear wool crepe.  Drapes beautifully.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently Crepe is usually made from silk, wool or synthetic fabric.  I looked it up.  That dress is over $300.00,  But a lot of it was because of the slik.  Loved the dress, but I can't swing the price now.   I tell you one thing, I'm buying more and more natural fibers now.  Very expensive, but worth it.  They seem to last longer then poly stuff.  I already have my eye on two tops that are 100% Linen.  I'll have to iron but they are gorgeous.   It started with premium jeans.  Now I'm looking more and more of skirts/dressus made from natura fibers.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@queendiva  I have 3 pairs of Eileen Fisher crepe pants and love them.  Wish her newer items had the quality of those crepe pants that I have had for years.  EF quality has gone way down from the time of those pants.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago I was a professional dressmaker. My specialty was gowns and cocktail dresses. One of the most beautiful gowns I ever made was for a MOTB. It was silk crepe and silk chiffon, full-length with long sleeves. It had such a gorgeous drape and the light just danced off of the fabric so nicely.  Beautiful fabric.