Respected Contributor

Re: Does Victoria Secret do accuate bra fittings? .... or is it better to go somewhere else?

Well, I have yet been in a VS where it seems the sales people know anything except how to work the register and make pretty little rows of panties that get messed up just by looking at them. 

I would get out a tape measure and then look up a bra sizing chart online. Even better - look up for the brand you are interested in. And - be totally honest with the measurements - most important. My tape measure is my friend when it comes to bras and swimsuits. 

Good luck and happy bra shopping!

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Victoria Secret do accuate bra fittings? .... or is it better to go somewhere else?

TO be honest I don't have much faith in anyone who fits bras.  A couple of years ago,I went to Nordstrom, Macy's and Lord & Taylor on the same day and was fitted by one of their trained fitters at each store.  I got three different measurements

Super Contributor

I've had the best fittings at Soma and Nordstrom.  Currently my favorite bra is the Soma vanishing back.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Victoria Serecet do accuate bra fittings? .... or is it better to go somewhere else?

@Andreatoo wrote:

From what I've heard they'd rather sell a bra to you than give you a proper fitting if they don't carry your size.

I learned something interesting in Nordstrom's last week that I didn't know and I've been wearing bras for many years! ( and I've had fittings) The measurement is the loosest hook not the tightest! The tighter settings are there for when the bra stretches out some

I never knew this until I went for a bra fitting at VS and they clued me in. 

Honored Contributor

No...but I do not care for their bras so when I went there not only did they measure incorrectly, they did not have a bra for me, that I liked.

I went to the mall and an associate at Macy's was a great help.....I knew exactly what bra I wanted and made sure that it fit properly before I left.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Victoria Serecet do accuate bra fittings? .... or is it better to go somewhere else?

@KimSG wrote:

I have had several professional bra fittings over the year (Dillards, Soma, etc) and I have not always been pleased. I would suggest checking out "A Bra That Fits", which is a forum on Reddit. I came across this site a few weeks ago, and I was really surprised at all the detailed information that the site provides.

I used their bra size calcualtor. I had to take my measurements under my bust in 3 ways: loose, snug, and tight. I then had to take measurements around bust while standing, leaning over at 90°, and while lying down. I have never had a professional fitting that required that many measurements. I was surprised at the size I was given. But I found it to be accurate.

I think the main thing that this site provides that has helped me in findng a bra, is that not only is size taken into consideration, but shape as well, (example: full on top, full on bottom, wide roots etc). Once you have determined all that, then you can read a list of bras that is recommended for your shape.

I would never have believed the size that they gave me, but they were accurate. I measured roughly 37 under bust and 44 at bust, and was given recommendation of 38F/FF in UK size. Since I am  loosing weight I bought bra in 36 band size. The fit was amazing.

Most stores do not carry my size. I found that Amazon carries many of the recommended bras, and many of those offer free shipping and free returns. 

Once you buy a bra, you can post a "fit check". Give your measurents, the name and size of bra you bought and detailed information about how it fits/doesn't fit. You will then be given recommendation on a different size or different style to try.

Spend some time reading the forums and you will get a great deal of information. 

@KimSG

Wide roots ???

Trusted Contributor

I went to Soma intimates in our mall last year for a fitting...omg..they were so far off, and insisted that I was a smaller size than I was , so I tried on the size they suggested and of course it was incredibly tight...I ended buying a few bras and the next day returning them...so uncomfortable... I hope u have better luckSmiley Tongue

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I had the best  and most accurate fitting done by JCP ennys a few years ago, before they closed our very nice store..... 

Frequent Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KimSG wrote:

I think the main thing that this site provides that has helped me in findng a bra, is that not only is size taken into consideration, but shape as well, (example: full on top, full on bottom, wide roots etc). Once you have determined all that, then you can read a list of bras that is recommended for your shape.

@KimSG

Wide roots ???

That term was new to me when I first went to that site. Here is a link that explains it. Roots

Honored Contributor

I would only go to a department store.  In a specialty shop they only have one brand to fit you with.