Super Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Only Wear a Fraction of Their Clothes?

Yes, I was doing the same thing so I also started a plan to wear each of my summer tops once before repeating any of them. If they don't fit or I don't want to keep them I put them in my donation bag. It is actually kind of fun wearing some that I rarely chose before. There are some days when I want to wear something I wore earlier, but so far I have stuck with my plan. I started this mid May. I had no idea I have over 90 tops. I am almost through all of them once, so I think the second time through I am going to go by color--wear all my blue tops, then all my pink tops, then red, etc.  ( I am easily entertained these days and spend most days by myself at home while my husband works. I told him what I was doing with my tops but I don't think he really notices. I am not going to tell him about the color plan and see if he notices that.)

Valued Contributor

I once heard the 80/20 rule about our closet. We wear 20 per cent of our clothes 80 per cent of the time.    That would probably be true for me.  

Respected Contributor

I keep my clothes for each fairly well kept down to a reasonable, usable amount.  DH on the other hand is at the extreme opposite of the spectrum.

What I started to do this summer: after washing a golf shirt ( don't want to say how many still have tags on them from previous years ), I hang it in my gift closet.  This way he will keep choosing from the remaining shirts !  So far, so good.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

I lost 60% of my income and my job during the 2008 recession. I was able to keep my home in the Chicago area because my Mother was living with me at the time. There was no money for clothes without a job for 8 months.I eventually sold my house as I prepared for my long awaited move to Florida. I gave away bags and bags and bags and bags of clothing that I no longer had need of because of weight loss, moving to a warmer climate, and no need for scrub uniforms. The only thing I sold was a beautiful Dennis Basso faux fur coat which I would not need in Florida.

I'm retired now and have a pretty bare closet now that I am living in Florida. I have bought a few clothing pieces here and there. I always comment on posts here that QVC caters to cold weather customers, not those of us in sub tropical climates or warm weather areas. They just don't offer much, now so more with the COVID crisis.

Honored Contributor

I received a top from JJill yesterday, and I wore it today. It cost too much to just hang in the closet, so I'm going to wear it a lot before the season changes. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

😥 Yes !....pretty much the same quarantine grubbies every day .

Esteemed Contributor

I read the same thing - 20/80 rule. I think it's true for me and my shoe closet. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do wear most of them - at least once or twice a season.  Under normal conditions - I have a fairly active schedule.

My everyday stuff - yes I wear all of it.  

-----------------------

ETA:  I'm starting to weed out summer stuff before Labor Day - I'm filling donation bags with summer clothes.

-----------------------------------------

@Harpa wrote:

It's not just because of the present situation, but I am finding that I only wear a small fraction of the clothes that I own. Not counting the variety because of the 4 seasons, or the formal things I need for performance.

I just seem to reach for favorites.

Wash & wear, wash & wear.

I already culled my closet & drawers several times.

I think I change my earrings more than I do my clothing!

Does anyone relate?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   I relate.  I am currently going thru my closet and getting rid of a lot of tops and I need to get rid of some pants I never wear.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but mainly because of the current situation.  I live in the same capris and t-shirts day after day after day.  All my other clothes just take up space in my closets and drawers.  But that will change at some point in the future, I hope.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt