Valued Contributor

Re: Do you wear shorts out in public?

Yes, I do. I'm in my early 40's. I think my legs look okay. When I am out I see a multitude of sins, I won't even go there! People can look at my legs! Your too. Go for it.
Super Contributor

I just don't wear shorts in public. Well not out in the city. The only place I wear shorts is home, the beach, and if we go somewhere like hiking or a theme park or out on a relative's boat, although it's been a while since we've done that. When I was 10 years younger, I used to wear 7" or 8" inseam short, but now I just feel they need to be longer if I'm going to wear some.

I just don't feel that shorts above knee length are feminine at all, especially when women get older. It's not that I don't have good legs, I like my legs and they are nice legs as legs go on women my age. I do have some spider veins here and there, but no more than most women my age. I just feel that for me, I want to look more feminine as I get older and shorts don't make me feel feminine or attractive. I feel like unless they are very long, down to your knees such as a walking short with a 10-11" inseam, they draw attention to your thighs and I don't want that. I might wear some that are considered "Bermuda" shorts but only to specific places.

I have some really cute summer skirts and pedal pushers, and I just bought a new pair of pedal pushers from Ann Taylor, to go with the ones I bought and wore a lot last year. They get me through the summer. I feel stylish, pretty and cool without wearing shorts.

Honored Contributor

I'm with Amp. I don't wear shorts often--only if I'm at a picnic or beach or somewhere like that. My legs are fine, but I'm not one who likes to self tan and I'm fair. I hate the hassle, smell and dirty feeling of self tanner so that's the main reason I don't wear shorts.

I prefer crops, and I wear those far more often.

I also have quite a bit of Fresh Produce and those clothing items are appropriate for even warm weather due to their lightweight and light colors.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

I'm 56 and have one pair of cuffed bermuda type seersucker shorts, other than that cross and pedal pushers only, plus a few summer skirts and dresses a couple inches above the knee.

Honored Contributor

Another senior here. I mostly wear pedal pusher or capris, but if it gets beastly hot, I will wear bermuda shorts. Nothing shorter than that. My legs still look OK for their age!{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Super Contributor

No, I don't wear shorts in public and haven't for years. In fact, I rarely see women past age 40 wearing shorts, even Bermuda shorts. It seems capris, crops, peddle pushers and cute sun dresses are the rage and shorts are out of fashion in my neck of the woods.

New Contributor

Yes I do. I like them long though. I got some 7 inch ones from Old Navy and I love them! They are the boyfriend style with cuffs at the bottom and come in many colors. Check them out.

Honored Contributor

I really prefer the length of pedal pushers. I do wear shorts to the gym, and over my swimsuit. I always liked the length of culottes (sp?) and i wish they would come back in style. I saw in Walmart the other day they had skorts that came just to the top of the knee, in just about every fabric you could think of.

Occasional Contributor

I don't understand the "I don't wear shorts" comments. I'm 63 years old and can't wait for warm weather so that I can wear shorts. I'm short and knee length shorts don't look that great on me, so I mostly wear 3" length. On me, they come to the middle of my thigh, which does not look that short. I do also wear them in public. It's too hot and humid in the summer here to wear anything other than shorts. I also do wear capris and crops when it's not sweltering out and when an occasion arises that I feel they are the more appropriate choice. Knee length skirts are another warm weather item I love to wear. I don't let my age dictate what I wear, however would never wear midriff tops,etc. I didn't even wear them when I was younger. Just never liked them on me. My mother is almost 85 and she wears shorts as well.
Frequent Contributor

I'm 60 and I don't wear shorts. I have very nicely shaped, slim legs. It's not the fact that I don't tan that's stopping me…I have spider veins on the insides of my knees that I'm a little self-conscious about. I don't judge others for wearing or not wearing them, tho. Everybody has her own comfort level.