Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I used to wear spanx a lot with dresses, skirted suits.  the reason is that regular pantyhose creates a muffin top and spanx does not. And there are no panty lines,  if you saw the initial presentations in the Q, this was Sara Blakely's pitch, and it was true!  The product delivers!  in the summer, with no pantihose, it helps avoid chafing in the inner thigh. As a hippy person with a smaller waist, it was torture getting it on and off, to stretch it to go over the hips.  going to the bathroom was torture.  the garment has a double gusset, but i wouldn't use it.  i would go up one or 2 sizes to make it easier to take it on and off and hurt less.  because sometimes my sides would be in pain after i took it off.  i don't wear as many dresses anymore and never wore with pants. no more spanx for me. 

@NYCLatinaMe 

Wow! That would definitely be my fear but it sounss like you got the highest level of compression that they make. I once put my hands on some Spanx at Dillard's and it felt like scuba wear! I hear that the thinstincts is gentle and comfortable

Honored Contributor

@Nicks Mom

What you said.  I wear to church and when I dress to go out.  I do not wear with jeans nor around the house or groucery store, etc.  

I use the Spanx brand.  There might be less expensive or even better ones out there but I have never sought any other brand.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

...This is more about modesty than slimming. But when wearing knits or close fitting skirts or dresses, I wear a slip. Horrors to some, but it keeps my clothes hanging away from my body and reduces the appearance of any of that back fat nonsense. 

@kate2357 I wear slips with dresses too!  There are 2 of us!  They used to be so hard to find, but now we have Amazon. I used to pay about $80 at a specialty store, now it's like $15...

You're right....it was very hard to find slips. Some of my slips are older than my children. 🤣

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

No,  I tried a Spanx high waisted panty once and it was so uncomfortable plus it kept rolling on me.  I go without and make sure whatever I'm wearing doesn't show any lumps.

Honored Contributor

If I am wearing a knit pant or a knit dress, yes.  The shaper just smoothes out your shape...I know how to purchase so the shaper is not to tight.  I almost always wear a cami, even in the summer, but that is not a shaper in my opinion....I wear them to keep my torso warm or if a shirt is sheer.

Honored Contributor

no

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

I wear a light compression tank, in the correct size, almost everyday. This is more about modesty than slimming. But when wearing knits or close fitting skirts or dresses, I wear a slip. Horrors to some, but it keeps my clothes hanging away from my body and reduces the appearance of any of that back fat nonsense. 

I do not wear compression shape wear when wearing pants. For my knit pants I do wear pant liners for those pants that are unlined.

gosh, @kate2357 !   i will have to try a SLIP.   (who knew?)  i think i have one in my drawer from way back when.  i am definitely going to give this a try.  

Honored Contributor

I do have a skinny  tee, I wear under form fitting clothes. The really are not much more than a tank top. I don't know if it actaully does much. I use it for modesty under some of my tops, mostly

Honored Contributor

No shapewear because I don't wear the kinds of clothes where you can see 'stuff'. 

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

...  I go without and make sure whatever I'm wearing doesn't show any lumps.

I try to do the same, but, honestly, I envy/admire people who wear stretchy garments showing their lumps and bumps... They are probably more accepting and forgiving, and I wish I was like that...