Trusted Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

NO. I don't have lumps and bumps or SADDLEBAG thighs.

Ms. Manhattan

You know........You are BLESSED...........YOU ARE BLESSED,

I have enough HIPPAGE for the both of us.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I used to wear spanx a lot with dresses, skirted suits.  the reason is that regular pantyhose creates a muffin top and spanx does not. And there are no panty lines,  if you saw the initial presentations in the Q, this was Sara Blakely's pitch, and it was true!  The product delivers!  in the summer, with no pantihose, it helps avoid chafing in the inner thigh. As a hippy person with a smaller waist, it was torture getting it on and off, to stretch it to go over the hips.  going to the bathroom was torture.  the garment has a double gusset, but i wouldn't use it.  i would go up one or 2 sizes to make it easier to take it on and off and hurt less.  because sometimes my sides would be in pain after i took it off.  i don't wear as many dresses anymore and never wore with pants. no more spanx for me. 

Ms. NYC

I also buy my spanx at a minimum one or TWO sizes up.  I think that should be discussed and I think what gets people discouraged is when they buy their "normal" size and it is super super tight.

Going up 2 sizes makes it comfortable for all day wear.  I know I look better in spanx in many of my dresses.

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

...This is more about modesty than slimming. But when wearing knits or close fitting skirts or dresses, I wear a slip. Horrors to some, but it keeps my clothes hanging away from my body and reduces the appearance of any of that back fat nonsense. 

@kate2357 I wear slips with dresses too!  There are 2 of us!  They used to be so hard to find, but now we have Amazon. I used to pay about $80 at a specialty store, now it's like $15...

The THREE Of us wear...... SLIPS!!!

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

No,  I tried a Spanx high waisted panty once and it was so uncomfortable plus it kept rolling on me.  I go without and make sure whatever I'm wearing doesn't show any lumps.

I used to find them too tight, the TIP .....no one TELLS anyone is.....you have to go UP at least one or even two sizes....for comfort.

THat is the way I'm able to wear them all day at work....You still get the support as they are knit but the item is more comfortable.

in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

I wear light control panties whenever I leave the house. I'm plus-sized, and they keep the jiggles under control!

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

...This is more about modesty than slimming. But when wearing knits or close fitting skirts or dresses, I wear a slip. Horrors to some, but it keeps my clothes hanging away from my body and reduces the appearance of any of that back fat nonsense. 

@kate2357 I wear slips with dresses too!  There are 2 of us!  They used to be so hard to find, but now we have Amazon. I used to pay about $80 at a specialty store, now it's like $15...

I'm a huge slip wearer as well.  I have always worn a slip.  

Trusted Contributor
My opinion- Everyone can use a little shapewear just like everyone can use a little lipstick, blush and mascara. Some save these things for special occasions, some always want to look their best and use them every day, and others don’t care and never use makeup or Shapewear. It’s a personal choice.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

No,  I tried a Spanx high waisted panty once and it was so uncomfortable plus it kept rolling on me.  I go without and make sure whatever I'm wearing doesn't show any lumps.

I used to find them too tight, the TIP .....no one TELLS anyone is.....you have to go UP at least one or even two sizes....for comfort.

THat is the way I'm able to wear them all day at work....You still get the support as they are knit but the item is more comfortable.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB 

I did recently hear a rep for one of the shapewear companies (might have been Spanx, I don't recall) say that it did not work to go down a size  in shapewear as tighter did not make them work better.

So at least someone does tell you to check the measurement charts for the particular item and go by those, not by your usual size or your "wish" size.

Honored Contributor

My shapewear is my stationary bike I use every single day since 1985.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

I'm a huge slip wearer as well.  I have always worn a slip.  

Thanks for the reminder. I still have some that I should wear again during sundress season. Although I so have a few light control Hanes panties, slips are much cooler in hot weather. And easer to go to the bathroom.