Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

...This is more about modesty than slimming. But when wearing knits or close fitting skirts or dresses, I wear a slip. Horrors to some, but it keeps my clothes hanging away from my body and reduces the appearance of any of that back fat nonsense. 

@kate2357 I wear slips with dresses too!  There are 2 of us!  They used to be so hard to find, but now we have Amazon. I used to pay about $80 at a specialty store, now it's like $15...

I wear slips as well...some dresses are sheer, you can see right thru them!! - not a good look with out a slip.

Honored Contributor

Yes, and I have worn it everyday for I don't know how many years - at least since my 30s.

I once read an article about the effect of gravity ... and I figured if I wore shapewear all the time that I could prevent sagging.   It's easier to prevent that to try to fix afterwards.  Rememer:  "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I wear either a body suit w/built-built in bra or a high rise panty girdle, and sheer energy pantyhose of dancer's footless tights.   It doesn't have to be "industrial strength" shapewear.  Something as lightweight as Flexees works just fine.  

It really works, and you get used to wearing it.  I'm not about to stop now. 

Respected Contributor

I have spent hundreds on shapewear and I have retired it all. It's not comfortable, it always shows through, the top rolls down, I'm constantly adjusting it, and I don't want my organs compressed like that.  Also, it's just not a cute look when you're getting undressed in front of someone to have all that stuff on. So I just let my lumps and bumps be free.  Fortunately, they're not that bad and I tend to dress so as to minimize them.  It is very expensive stuff, that I can tell you.  I've tried many brands, I just don't find any of them to perform that well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wear shapewear?

[ Edited ]

Actual shapewear to compress me, no.  I have never found they really do the job.  If I bought compression garments for my lower half, you can always see the line of demarkation across the thigh with them and generally they shifted everything up so I had a huge bulge/roll in my stomach.

None of it looks comfortable either and I don't want to be hot and bound up in my clothing.

I do wear Jockey Slim shorts under full cut dresses but those do nothing but smooth so I don't have VPL.  And I have to be careful what I wear them with because with knits or close fitting garments, again you can see the line across mid-thigh. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357  and @Mom2Dogs  I totally agree with you about a slip.  Nothing smooths out the line under a dress like a real slip.  The cheap, cheesey lining some manufacturers sew into dresses and skirts don't even compare to the lining a good slip creates.  I also like nylon and silky camisoles for layering under lightweight and sheer tops.  In instances where I really want smoothing control my go to is sheer control top hose.  To me this is the most comfortable way to wear a control garment.  Those compression shorts and tube looking garments are ridiculous. Unless you aren't moving a muscle they will move around on you. 

Respected Contributor

Love Spanx thinstincs especially the camis and then skinny tees.  A gentle hug mostly in my dresses.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think shape wear is helpful if you have obvious rolls that you want smoothed out or if you have a lot of jiggle but if you're just looking to look thinner I find that it actually makes other women and myself look larger like a stuffed sausage look. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It binds me and feels too tight. I cant stand any clothes that are too tight.  Plus if you have Gerd you should not have tight things around your stomach and I have that.

I feel it is just better to keep a flatter stomach with food and exercise Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I appreciate all the responses ladies!

What I think would be informative, to me anyway, is to see some of these thin/thinner hosts that say they wear shapewear do some B&As. Maybe the spanx vendor? She's so tiny it appears so I'd like to see if there's a significant difference..

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I appreciate all the responses ladies!

What I think would be informative, to me anyway, is to see some of these thin/thinner hosts that say they wear shapewear do some B&As. Maybe the spanx vendor? She's so tiny it appears so I'd like to see if there's a significant difference..

they used to do them regularly, qvc models, maybe try you tube, google for sure.  spanx works: no rolls, no VPLs.  but they may need adjustment when you move.  whether to wear or not depends on how important it is to you to have  that perfect look. Slips are enough for me now.  all the TV ladies do wear spanx, sometimes 2, one stacked on top of another.  it's a short period of time on the air and spanx works.