Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you wear long vests, toppers or dusters?

I own about three of the really long toppers in poly or chiffon in very bright colors/ prints. I usually wear them out to dinner when on cruises or in Hawaii. I am 5'4" and with top and slim slacks in one color these look terrific!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear long toppers, but I have some that reach my knees. I don't pay attention to articles like the one in WSJ. It's just someone's opinion; whatever is in style or looks "dated" is relative. Not everyone thinks the same. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

No, I don't wear any of these items. Not my style I suppose. 

They do look great on some women.

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

I don't concern myself with what others wear. It all depends on styling and proportions. Shorter people can wear long vests and dusters.

And what the WSJ article is referring to is old fashioned looking no button cardigans and toppers. Most of D&C styles are very dated lookiing like something Maude would wear.

Giuliana's fashions are contemporary. I love that long vest and her dusters and her joggers, dresses etc

@Chi-town girl  Bravo my friend!! I was hoping you would post.  I don't see anything dated with wearing this.  I think it looks very chic and up to date. 

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

I don't concern myself with what others wear. It all depends on styling and proportions. Shorter people can wear long vests and dusters.

And what the WSJ article is referring to is old fashioned looking no button cardigans and toppers. Most of D&C styles are very dated lookiing like something Maude would wear.

Giuliana's fashions are contemporary. I love that long vest and her dusters and her joggers, dresses etc

@Chi-town girl  Bravo my friend!! I was hoping you would post.  I don't see anything dated with wearing this.  I think it looks very chic and up to date. 

@Pecky - I have to laugh at some of the comments and do not shop or dress based on others in my neighborhood or region. I like seeing a variety of styles - not everything is for everyone - thank goodness we are not required to dress like 'everyone else'

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

No never. Last thing I need is layers in the heat. I rarely wear a jacket, don't need vest or duster.

Honored Contributor

They're unnecessary pieces of clothing.  Take up room and you really don't need to wear them, especially in the summer.  I don't own any of them. They're basically schmattas that drag on the ground. Silly looking too.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 

I wear all three.  I am called the "City's Stylist".  You can see them on me in Outfit of the Day.

Long items are more fashion forward.  Some ladies just want clothes to wear all day and look nice enough while feeling good, which is fine.  They have different needs from mine.

I work and intend to do so until I can't.  I am very unhappy if I am not working with color.

Honored Contributor

No, not really.  On me, they add bulk and weight.

I'm tall, 5' 8" and an hourglass.  I have a small waist, and I don't to hide it with flowy vests and a lot of fabric.  

Respected Contributor

No, I feel I am too petite for them.