Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think skinny designers make good fitting plus size clothes?

@Sthomasloverwrote:

Holy smokes, I didn't mean to get you so upset, I too am a plus size and just wondered why you can buy anything on the shopping channels in all sizes, but not in the dept stores. Sorry for getting you upset.

This is why I will stay with my thought of only reading and never posting.

Again sorry if I offended anyone, I will try and get this thread removed.

@Sthomaslover

Don't let these replies run you away ... most newbies go through this and a lot worse ... you'll develop a thick skin along the way.  

Keep posting, girl!

Honored Contributor

I don't think it matters the size of the designer.  I think it's more important the mindset of the designer.

OK, so let's look at Christian Seriano.  He's normal weight and small considering most male's sizes.  

Yet Mr. Seriano is famous for designing women who ARE NOT a size 2 or 4 or so on.  He can and does design for everyone.  He sees beauty in all women of all sizes

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Mj12wrote:

I disagree that thin women are either genetically “gifted” or work out/diet constantly.  With some (many) it is a daily struggle to maintain one’s weight.  That is not a gift. 

@Mj12  I am shocked that so many of you are reading into what I said things that are not there.  I say there are people who could eat all day without gaining weight, there are those who work with diet and exercise.  I did not say they are synonymous.  Good grief.  Some people just want to find something to fight about.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@Mj12wrote:

I disagree that thin women are either genetically “gifted” or work out/diet constantly.  With some (many) it is a daily struggle to maintain one’s weight.  That is not a gift. 

@Mj12  I am shocked that so many of you are reading into what I said things that are not there.  I say there are people who could eat all day without gaining weight, there are those who work with diet and exercise.  I did not say they are synonymous.  Good grief.  Some people just want to find something to fight about.

@Nonametoday I wasn't referring to any of your posts.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12wrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

@Mj12wrote:

@Nonametoday I wasn't referring to any of your posts.

@Mj12  My sincerest apologies!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Sthomasloverwrote:

I see most clothing items come in a xx small to a 3x. But do you think most designers are really thinking gee how will this flatter a larger person?? In brand name stores you almost never see the same item in that wide a range of sizes. The plus sizes are always seperated and in their own section and not the same design as the other sizes. That makes me wonder how all the shopping channels can offer that huge range of sizes on most every garment.

The way I see it, this is really two separate issues: Do skinny designers know how to fit plus women and Does one design work for all sizes.

You're right, most clothing most retailers do not have the exact same items ranging from XX Small to 3X. Most stop around 14-18 and then have a Plus section where the selections may be different. I think a lot of the QVC/HSN/Etc looks don't translate well across all sizes and I've noticed the models are almost always XL and under, not even a 1X.

But can skinny designers make well-fitting plus-sized clothes? That's a completely different question and the answer is yes, designers can design for people who don't share the same body type. Look at the huge number of male designers making clothing for women. Designers can obviously design for people of different body types. You don't see Dennis Basso deisgning only for portly men. And look at Christian Sirriano, a young man who has made a name for himself by dressing celebrities and women of all shapes and sizes.

Christian Siriano. Photo courtesy Twitter.

I don't think the issue is thin designers.

TV retailers don't have separate plus sections in part because they have one audience of mostly women who may be watching at any time. If they have only clothing for XX Small - 14, they lose all of the XL-3X viewers - and vice versa. It's in their best interest to keep all eyes on them at all times by making sure what they're showing is offered in the sizes people need. It's the same reason they offer carry most shows in more than just average width and offer a lot of wides and some narrows - more sizes, more eyes, more money.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

I don't think it matters the size of the designer.  I think it's more important the mindset of the designer.

OK, so let's look at Christian Seriano.  He's normal weight and small considering most male's sizes.  

Yet Mr. Seriano is famous for designing women who ARE NOT a size 2 or 4 or so on.  He can and does design for everyone.  He sees beauty in all women of all sizes

@Annabellethecat66,Great point!  Christian has a great understanding of how line effects the shape of the body.  Not all designers can do that.

Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@NycVixenwrote:

I think I understand what the OP is saying but it's a sensitive subject. QVC uses vanity sizing so I usually have to order a XXS for a size small and many times it's still too big. Asian and smaller framed women also struggle finding clothing that suits them even in stores. I'm glad I'm not that small otherwise it would even be harder for me. A good designer knows how design a garment that is flattering. It's about construction, fit as well as draping and the materials used among other factors.

IMO if the designer is skinny or not shouldn't be the focus; it's whether he or she makes well fitting clothing regardless of  size. I don't think someone who cares about the craft and has his or her livelihood on the line will only ascertain that the smaller sizes fit well.

@NycVixen  It’s also important to me that designers realize  for small sizes some things just don’t work the same as for larger sizes. Large prints, wide stripes, too much sleeve detail, big ruffles or my real pet peeve....a v neck or scoop neck that ends up below my bra is not acceptable. There are no adjustments made in depth of neckline for smaller sizes.

You said it! I'm very top heavy and for the most part I end up having to layer with a cami or tank because necklines end at or below my bra. For some reason, plus size retailers do a lot of super-low necklines. It's hard enough trying to find large size clothes in B&M stores that do not like you're heading to the club every day. There's nothing wrong with wanting to look sexy, but there are times and places where revealing necklines just aren't appropriate, and I appreciate it when I can find tops with higher crew and V-necks. And another thing that I can't stand is necklines cut so wide that bra straps show and they don't stay on the shoulders and gape. If I wanted to wear an off-the-shoulder top, I'd buy one.