Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think skinny designers make good fitting plus size clothes?

Not every garment looks good on everyone-whatever their size may be.  If the garment is not designed well, noone will look good.  This is often evident many times on QVC, something looks bad on everyone- the models, the vendors and the hosts.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think designers design by their own size, but I do think designer's designs look good on different size women. 

For instance to me, Isaac designs for a smaller size woman, or a junior size woman. While I think Kim Gravel designs are for a larger woman. I think Bob Mackie and Louis do not design for a petite size woman, instead a tall woman. 

All of them love a tall, thin woman to show off their designs.

Honored Contributor

@Sthomaslover

Welcome to the boards.  It's not for the faint of heart, lol, as I've learned and relearned many times over the years.  Keep on posting... just do yourself a favor and never mention crop pants.  Things get ugly quickly....

I think it's refreshing that designers offer such a variety of sizes.  You can usually tell which styles are better suited for one body type or another by which sizes sell out first.  So, I guess what I'm saying is that despite the fact that styles are offered in xxs as well as 3x, women know which will work for them and which will not.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

I suppose since the 1960s the fashion industry has appealed to the thin figure, almost  a boyish look, the reason for the androgynous clothes.  I think with so many drugs dumped into our world and especially the excessive use by fashion designers, models and the Hollywood types who use, they see themselves, the models and their monied clientele as prototypes.

With much of Society having used or being on drugs, including alcohol, extreme dieting in addition to those people whose thin size is a part of their DNA, designers are appealing to the masses.  Because of these excesses and few whose nature it is to be thin, we have become a thinner society. 

It is a shame because we will point fingers at overweight people and obese people in shame, not the designers.  If you look at the beautiful women from history, few were thin.  The thin ones may have been Mary Todd Lincoln and Letitia Tyler, but both were quite ill.  

Some people are just thin by way of DNA but that is certainly not the majority.  

I’ve read this post three times, and am not sure how to take it. 

Right off the bat, I have to say that the thinner people I know, aren’t that way due to being ill, taking drugs, or extreme dieting. 

Some just live a healthy lifestyle, exercise daily, and don’t overeat.  Just not that hard to do!  Or understand. 

Honored Contributor

@septemberwrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

I suppose since the 1960s the fashion industry has appealed to the thin figure, almost  a boyish look, the reason for the androgynous clothes.  I think with so many drugs dumped into our world and especially the excessive use by fashion designers, models and the Hollywood types who use, they see themselves, the models and their monied clientele as prototypes.

With much of Society having used or being on drugs, including alcohol, extreme dieting in addition to those people whose thin size is a part of their DNA, designers are appealing to the masses.  Because of these excesses and few whose nature it is to be thin, we have become a thinner society. 

It is a shame because we will point fingers at overweight people and obese people in shame, not the designers.  If you look at the beautiful women from history, few were thin.  The thin ones may have been Mary Todd Lincoln and Letitia Tyler, but both were quite ill.  

Some people are just thin by way of DNA but that is certainly not the majority.  

I’ve read this post three times, and am not sure how to take it. 

Right off the bat, I have to say that the thinner people I know, aren’t that way due to being ill, taking drugs, or extreme dieting. 

Some just live a healthy lifestyle, exercise daily, and don’t overeat.  Just not that hard to do!  Or understand. 

@september  I  understand there are thin people just by virtue of their DNA or the way they eat but there are many designers, stylists, models and Hollywood types who and still do drugs which keeps them thin.  There are women who take their children in for ADHD or ADD, etc, and take the drugs given the children instead of the children taking them. I know this happens.  I am in a position to know some of these things.  Of course, there are women who are thin.  Some people would never be fat if you fed them high-calorie foods all day and night; others eat very minimally while some who eat small portions, some non-fattening food, some avoiding meats and carbohydrates.  I do not argue with you about that.   

Honored Contributor

It is unconscionable to characterize thin people as "drug users"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I think a good designer can make everyone look good, not perfect, but the best they can be

Honored Contributor

It would seem that a designer's clothing is a mirror of their talent, training, and creativity.

Visually, we pick and choose clothing based on how their vision appeals to us and quality. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think what the store has on offer ,is the fault of the designer. It's the buyers job to select merchandise ,not the designer

Honored Contributor

Not!!!!