Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you think rayon is a high-end fabric?

Agree to all opinions...since it makes sense to me.. but since we can't feel what's selling at the Q,.....is there a certain rayon % content or additional fibers present % content that will be help us determine whether items will please us or not by content listed here? Or can that actually even be determined whenever cameras will not zoom in to give closeups?
Honored Contributor

I have rayon items that wash beautifully, don't fade and line dry with no wrinkles.  They feel more like a knit fabric.

Someone calling a fabric "high end" wouldn't influence me, whether or not to buy.  Anymore than the old tactic of "so Fifth Avenue".

Trusted Contributor

I have to say that my last question ❓ was asked because I'm still ticked about those 2 CCB sweaters bought at LS price. Such low end poor quality as I haven't seen in a long time. I would have passed them by if thumbing thru a rack....if I return I'm only going to get tiny amount back that I spent after USPS postage.
😡 My only option is to 💯 stop ordering fashion here.
And educate myself 🤞
Honored Contributor

rayon is my most favorite fabric.......all rayon or rayon blends.

it is fantastic when you are hot all the time!

it wears well, keeps color well, has good stretch and recovery when blended, washes well, easy to hang dry, dries quickly, takes up very little space in closets and drawers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Rayon can be high end or cheap.  It is a man-made fiber made with natural materials.  I can only determine quality by handling it. 

Honored Contributor

Years ago, I had a cute top and skirt out of good rayon.  I pressed it using Magic Spray Sizing and it gave the rayon a little body.

Magic Sizing Spray Light Body 20 oz Cans (Pack of 4)

Trusted Contributor

No. I don't buy anything with rayon anymore. Too wrinkly, too silky but not like silk.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rayon and related fabrics are among the lowest cost fibers and fabrics to produce. Rayon is semi-synthetic. Right now, the fashion industry is trying to maker it as if it were a better fabric. There's a reason it's being used so much right now. PROFIT. Cotton has skyrocketed in price, so rayon is being used. Rayon can be used in blends and look OK, but by itself it quickly looks ragged and has no structure. By itself, it is not a durable fabric, especially after washing. Combining it with other fibers can increase its durability and change the structure of fabrics. The industry is pushing FLOWY things because rayon fabric lacks structure and looks flowy. Garments made from it have no body. Rayon is also called viscose and is made from cellulose, usually from wood pulp. It can be made into fabrics that sort of resemble other fabrics, such as a silk look, a cotton look, a wool look and a linen look, but it's a poor immitation. It is versatile though, being able to be used to get so many look alikes. Some finishes for rayons can improve the fabric's look and performance. It's similar to to lyocel, Tencel (brand name)...but the manufacture of lyocel does not rely on one of the toxic substances that is used to make rayon. Modal is a rayon. Rayon often feels wet or damp or slimey to the touch even though it is dry. It has the lowest elastic recovery of all fibers. I forgot to mention Cupro, which is a rayon that looks something like silk. 

I don't buy anything made of just rayon or lyocel. I detest it. I might rarely buy a blend depending on the fiber content and feel of the fabric. I did own a blend of rayon with polyester in a woven camp shirt and short skirt outfit (I was in my early 20's) many years ago that was exceptional. I still remember the print. It held its shape, washed well, never seemed like rayon to me...I was suprised when I noticed it had rayon in it. It proved to me that rayon could be made to look and feel great and high end. I bought it in a high end boutique. Back in those days, I was in love with clothes and was always dressing well. I've never seen rayon look or perform that good since that time. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D   Thanks for the information about the different types of rayon.  I knew none of that.  Several years ago I owned a few items made of the brand name Tencel and absolutely loved them.  Now I know I need to stick to that brand name.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for the education.