Honored Contributor

Re: Do you still buy the the Joan Rivers clothing?

Well. Joan died.  After her death, the company had to change because Joan's vision was gone.  It couldn't be Joan talking about her Chanel jackets and what she wore to this or that event.  Now they sell clothing that women of a certain age like and wear.  They make what sells.  Yes, I occasionally buy Joan Rivers clothing because the fit and quality works and they are basics that work with other things in my wardrobe.  A couple of days ago, I bought the new quilted barn jacket.  I bought it in a pumpkin colour.  I still wear the original quilted jacket that I bought in red when Joan was with us.  Still looks great.

Respected Contributor

I guess my memory fails me...yet again. I just don't remember Joan and Kathy Levine sitting around wearing barn jackets and denim shirts while selling her line. I remember more tailored professional wear, jewelry and her eggs that she copied from her original collection. And of course her bee jewelry. I still have many of her items that I bought for work wear. I don't disagree that David is showing what QVC tells him too. If so, that is a disservice to what Joan wanted her line to represent. I have nothing against barn jackets and denim shirts. I wear most of that stuff now that I am retired. I just don't agree that Joan would approve of the items being sold with her name and reputation on it. Then again...I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

@ellaphant    There's a world of difference between costume design and fashion design.  Thank goodness or we might all be dressed like pilgrims or cavepersons.

I doubt either Joan or David designed the whole line alone.

You may want natural fabrics but the majority of woman have no desire to spend their time ironing.  I won't buy anything that is 100% cotton except towels.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

After she passed I bought that necklace that was popular in her line in turquiose, I think I wore it once it is just too goddy for me and not practical but after she passed I wanted something to remember her.

Esteemed Contributor

Joan often credited David re design and their collaborate efforts. The line did contain barn jackets and denim skirts in the past as well as garments more suitable for the work environment.

I’ve always loved her blouses and still buy them when I see something I like. I don’t mind ironing blouses as they remain crisp & fresh looking throughout the day. I love a neat looking blouse.

The world is less formal now and many people work from home. Fashion purchases probably reflect the post COVID world & the need for more casual clothing.

I still love the blouses but haven’t seen many new offerings.

Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:
I guess my memory fails me...yet again. I just don't remember Joan and Kathy Levine sitting around wearing barn jackets and denim shirts while selling her line. I remember more tailored professional wear, jewelry and her eggs that she copied from her original collection. And of course her bee jewelry. I still have many of her items that I bought for work wear. I don't disagree that David is showing what QVC tells him too. If so, that is a disservice to what Joan wanted her line to represent. I have nothing against barn jackets and denim shirts. I wear most of that stuff now that I am retired. I just don't agree that Joan would approve of the items being sold with her name and reputation on it. Then again...I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Smiley Wink

You don't have the foggiest idea of what Joan wanted for her company after her death.  You didn't know the woman, you only knew her QVC persona that she used to sell products.   Joan was a business woman, the company was an asset.  It made money but it was personality driven.  It could NOT be the same company without her.  David worked with her long before she died and his task was to keep the company from going belly up and make it profitable.  Joan HERSELF brought the original barn jackets to QVC.  She sold turtlenecks, pants, cardigans, button down shirts.  She sold clothes for real women with real lives.  It appears you did forget that.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a t-shirt recently b/c it had the neckline, sleeves, length and hem I wanted. It was a ridiculous $35. 

David has never expanded the line, which Joan would have done. He was never a "designer" but was in theater. 

I realize he wants to stick to the Rivers "brand", but it's failed I believe with the Q keeping b/c of Joan's name. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

You don't have the foggiest idea of what Joan wanted for her company after her death.  You didn't know the woman, you only knew her QVC persona that she used to sell products.   Joan was a business woman, the company was an asset.  It made money but it was personality driven.  It could NOT be the same company without her.  David worked with her long before she died and his task was to keep the company from going belly up and make it profitable.  Joan HERSELF brought the original barn jackets to QVC.  She sold turtlenecks, pants, cardigans, button down shirts.  She sold clothes for real women with real lives.  It appears you did forget that.  

WELL @chrystaltree I guess you told ME. Feel better now? Smiley Happy)
Honored Contributor

havent purchased an item of clothing from her line in a long time.

i do, however, continue to purchase some of her jewelry items, but try to wait until they get marked down. the only ones i dont wait for are the BEE pins.....those i get when they appear so that i can keep my collection going.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ellaphant    There's a world of difference between costume design and fashion design.  Thank goodness or we might all be dressed like pilgrims or cavepersons.

I doubt either Joan or David designed the whole line alone.

You may want natural fabrics but the majority of woman have no desire to spend their time ironing.  I won't buy anything that is 100% cotton except towels.

Just fyi, Designers do both, to name a ferw, Mackie, Versace, Givenchy...the list goes on.

Ironing is not a problem. I just don't go for over- priced synthetics with zero style like Graver line. Heaven forbid!