Super Contributor

Do you reinvent your closet?

Do you reinvent your clothes? Do you alter little things like buttons or collars to make an older garment new again or refreshed?

If so, what do you do to change the garment?

I do and have changed many items over the years. Sometimes I require my tailor, whom I love, sometimes I do it myself. I find it fun and satisfying to recycle my closet at times. Although, I have been known to start too many projects at once. LOL

Super Contributor

Re: Do you reinvent your closet?

I have changed buttons to give an upgraded look. I also recycle older clothing and redo them. I have made tanks out of older knit tops if the fabric is fab. I so sometimes add some embellishment around the neckline to peek out under jackets.
Honored Contributor

I bought a white print on white short jacket that was fantastic on. The buttons looked so garish I cringed! I changed them immediately!

Also, had a pretty over shirt with heavy croched lace trim that upon first wearing was too snug in the shoulder blades. I went down the back seam and put a panel of wide velvet in. Love it now! (and everyone wants it!)

Trusted Contributor

I'm not a seamstress or an accomplished craft person, so I don't do a lot of garment reconstructions or sewing changes. I do pull out "forgotten" or under-used garments sometimes and think of fresh new ways to wear them, maybe combining them with different pieces, colors or patterns, using an old shirt as a jacket, layering things in different ways, or using accessories with them in creative ways. Sometimes we get stuck thinking of a garment in only one way, when it can be worn in a variety of ways for fresh looks.

Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 luvingit said: I have changed buttons to give an upgraded look. I also recycle older clothing and redo them. I have made tanks out of older knit tops if the fabric is fab. I so sometimes add some embellishment around the neckline to peek out under jackets.

I like the idea of turning the tops into tanks but I am only adept at that with t-shirts for around the house. I think I could give it a go. Thanks for the ideas.

Honored Contributor

Why reinvent the wheel. They got it right the first time.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently upcycled two items.

I cut off the collar of a white tuxedo-type shirt. For some reason I am no longer fond of collars on me--they evoke a masculine vibe. So I was able to cut the collar off leaving a little banded collar. I like it much better!

I had a madras plaid Merrell sundress with an elastic waist. It felt short-waisted, so I cut the top off and made a short madras skirt. I have gotten so many compliments on this silly little skirt!

Valued Contributor

The only items I have reinvented are dresses that I thought were too short, and I had my mom shorten them more to make tunics. Great results!

Honored Contributor

Just minor changes such as buttons, or minor alterations really not that great as a seamstress.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I've always sewn, and I do all my own alterations. I think some of the capris with the slit on the side and buttons are really cute, but I just don't need anymore. So I think I will take a couple of pairs of those that I have, and maybe even a pair of jeans, and open up the seam a few inches and add a row of buttons.

I also have a couple of cute crocheted tops with the sweater or knit type lining underneath, and the arms have gotten a little too tight. (Don't know if they shrunk or I expanded!) I'm thinking I will take those and make tank tops and just wear them under lightweight jackets or jean jackets.

Of course, that means actually taking the time to do it! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}