Honored Contributor

Re: Do you machine wash items that say hand wash?

I machine wash a lot of hand wash only items. If it is very delicate, I put it in a pillow case and close with a rubber band and put in the machine on gentle. I can make the "bag" fit the item if I don't want it to be able to spread out in the machine and get twisted.

I sometimes use a mesh bag, but I have had things catch on the bag and I was not pleased with the results on a few very delicate items.

Super Contributor

I also put them in the machine on delicate. No bag though but I use a front loader. Sometimes I will hand wash my panties or bras if I need a specific one. I always air dry my hand washables though no even a low dryer
Honored Contributor

i have a hand wash choice on my whirlpool front loading washing machine, so i do put them in the machine most of the time. i dont hand wash anything.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Hand wash in your washing machine! Clothing will be ruined/shrink terribly if you wash an item hat specifically states hand wash- My husband just washed an item on gentle of mine that was supposed to be hand washed & it shrunk to about a size 2!

Respected Contributor

Yeah, my washer has " hand wash " cycle and I use Woolite with it.
Respected Contributor

Gentle cycle, woolite, in bags. Ruined a few things over the years but not much.
Honored Contributor

My machine has a handwash setting that is different than delicate. I wash lots of things in the handwash cycle but it really does depend on the fabric. my machine just jiggles the item gently from sid e to side in the water...exactly like you would do by hand in the sink.....so no worries. Love it.

Super Contributor

On 9/26/2014 Carmie said:

I machine wash a lot of hand wash only items. If it is very delicate, I put it in a pillow case and close with a rubber band and put in the machine on gentle. I can make the "bag" fit the item if I don't want it to be able to spread out in the machine and get twisted.

I sometimes use a mesh bag, but I have had things catch on the bag and I was not pleased with the results on a few very delicate items.

This is exactly what I do, too! Lol. Be sure to use a color safe, gentle detergent. If it is a very delicate material, with beading, I do hand wash.
Honored Contributor

Yes, all the time. My machine has both a delicate cycle and even a hand wash cycle. I use those cycles and cold water for just about everything but towels, sheets, and underwear. I also use a lingerie bag for bras, tights, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I never hand wash - I don't have the time or patience. I use the hand wash cycle and hang to dry. Most of the time I won't even buy something if it says to hand wash.