Valued Contributor

Re: Do you machine wash items that say hand wash?

I have a hand wash cycle on my washer that I use. I haven't ruined anything yet (knock on wood).
Honored Contributor

No, I always follow directions.

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 terrier3 said:

I hand wash cashmere sweaters in Philosophy shower gel. If it's OK for my hair, it's OK for my sweaters.

I used to dry clean my cashmere, but it comes out softer and fresher smelling with a hand wash.

I recently bought an agitator free washer and it makes washing on the delicate or quick wash settings very safe and simple.

I use Suave clarifying shampoo for all my hand washables ... and as a bubble bath!

Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 DiAnne said:

I do not hand wash anything. I put items in a laundry bag and wash on the delicate cycle. Sometimes I turn them inside out.

me too. I don't hand wash anything.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 momtodogs said:

I wash most hand wash items on delicate in the washer but never bras...the wire eventually pokes thru and I learned my lesson the hard way.

You can buy ""bags"" specific for wire bras at places like Walmart and BBB. I never hand wash even my underwire bras.

Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 champagnepoodle said:

Never hand wash, EVER! Just hit delicate and it comes out perfect in the washing machine.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I do hang dry.

Valued Contributor

Anything that I put to use in my everyday life has to be machine washable. If it says "hand wash" or "dry clean only" it can stay right there on the rack in the store. I will not be a slave to my clothes.

Dressier things like cashmere sweaters or wool trousers, of course they have to go to the dry cleaners, but for the rest of my clothes, I expect them to be easy wear, easy care.

Maria