Honored Contributor

Re: Do you live by a fashion budget?

I used to see something that I wanted and just purchase it. This led to too many bags, shoes and jewelry items and none of them were cheap.

About 5 years ago, I swore that I would stop with all this nonsense and I did. I have enough clothing to last me a lifetime. So now, I never purchase anything different. If my black pants or jeans wear out, I replace them. I also replace lingerie as it wears out. I don't buy anything unless its counterpart wears out or gets lost.

I think I might have spent less than $200 in 2014 on clothing. This is a big difference compared to the thousands of dollars I spent on accessories alone.

It was difficult at first, now not so much. What I need to work on is getting rid of thousands of dollars worth of clothing and accessories that I no longer need. I am getting ready to retire. I plan on donating my designer bags, expensive suits, etc to Dress for Success, which is a charity that clothes women getting off of government assistance and going to work with specialized training. I need to sort through everything and donate all on the same day...so I don't change my mind. I think I know how those hoarders feel on TV. I don;t know why I am so attached to my things. Some still have tags on them and have never been used.

I think a clothing budget is a wonderful thing to help you gain control of your spending.

Honored Contributor

No fashion budget for me, at my age I buy what I want while I still look half decent in the clothes and still care about being fashionable.

Honored Contributor

I do not have a budget but have been going for quality over quantity for the last few years. I am working on paring down my wardrobe.