Respected Contributor

I went to crochet & knitting classes at Joann's but the teacher (same for both) was not good.

I do crochet, but only wash cloths. Anthing larger than that & I cannot control my wonky looking sides.

I have been trying to watch some videos to understand where to put the stitches in the beginning & ends.

Honored Contributor

I just remembered an afghan I made when I was younger, it was for the bicentennial.

It was strips of crochet and afghan stitches which made white boxes, and at the end I embroidered all sorts of Bicentennial items on it, I remember a drum and a bugel and a flag

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Never wanted to crochet, but have been knitting for over 60 years for myself, family and friends. My mom taught me when I became bored with my "tomboy" activites! She was so talented and we knitted together until I moved into my own apartment. After I married, we'd get together for lunch and a movie . . . and we'd knit in the dark theater for decades!

She taught me everything, except how to live without her. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

So many talented ladies on this board.  Would love to have learned when I was young.  If I started now, I'd be one foot in the grave still making pot holders!

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd  Buy some quality, soft wool or cotton yarns (not polyester) and try a scarf. Bet many of us have never made a pot holder . . . and don't own square pot holders, either! I've always used pot mitts which were purchased.

You'll find knitting is easy and oh, so relaxing! Once you've made an item, you'll be hooked. Smiley Wink  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I was taught to knit & crochet when I was a young teenager but I still don't know how to finish anyting! LOL

My daughter, on the other hand, learned how to knit and crochet from one of my cousins when she was 6 years old! She'll be 33 in February and she's still going strong. She's always been really into handicrafts and has been sewing for years too

Respected Contributor

I knit, crochet, sew, spun my own yarn for years. Designed

and made sweaters , sweater dresses, accessories. A dear

lady who lived next door when I was a little girl, taught me

to knit and crochet, and I loved it from the very first stitch.

My sweet mom wasn’t into those things, so I was so lucky

to have a dear neighbor lady that had the patience to teach me. 🥰

Occasional Contributor

I'm primarily a knitter with small crochet projects once in a while.  I am left handed and years ago started knitting right handed 'cause it was difficult to to learn from someone else.  My favorite projects are crescent scarves made with hand dyed yarn.  Just start with 2 stitches and gradually increase to full length until the ball is finished.  No need to fit parts together and you always have a neat scarf to wear or give.  Also there's no knack needed to make fancy knots or ties.

Honored Contributor

I knit. My husband's aunt  gave me all of her old knitting patterns( WW2 vintage)

I love knitting baby clothes. I did a beautiful baby bonnet with matching  mitts out of angora yarn. The hat has a large brim  and it is decorated with  a very pretty loose stitch that forms a smocking pattern

Esteemed Contributor

I first learned to knit, but then discovered crochet and liked it much better.  Used to make everything from sweaters to purses to afghans until I developed carpal tunnel.  Had to give it up about 20 years ago and I miss it.  Kept my hands busy and was very relaxing for me.  One of these days I'm going to buy a skein of yarn and a hook and see if I can make a potholder or two.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt