Honored Contributor

Re: Do you keep something beautiful in your closet even if . . .

Yes, I do.  I know experts say if you don't wear if within a year - ditch it.  Well, that is pratical and good advice I guess.  But certain things I have I will probably never wear again but they are just too pretty and I just cannot part with them.  They make me happy just to look at them.  They don't take up a lot of space and I see no harm in keeping them.  If we only keep just pratical stuff, what fun is that?  Pretty dry, really!  We need practical, of course, but we also need fun and/or pretty - or even something which has sentimental value.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Yes I do. A long dress that I wore to a very special event with my late Mom. I will never part with that. I also bought a gown that I loved for a bargain price just because I loved it. I posted it here a couple of years ago. I've never worn it and even if I never do I don't see myself parting with it. I still need length taken off by a tailor. Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to wear it somewhere. I've never owned anything like it and that's why I bought it. It's not as if it's taking up tons of space in my closets.

For me fashion is fun and not just practical.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nice thread.  Yes, I have a couple old things that are full of memories that I don't wear anymore, but I keep anyway.  And, there's a beautiful Bob Mackie black cardigan in the finest knit with a "rain" of black sequins down the front -- wore it once, but maybe another occasion will arise.  Who knows?

A fur jacket my mom bought in her last year.  She really wanted to wear it.  It still has the tags on it and it's hanging in its original  zipper storage bag with the store's name on it.  I don't wear fur and it's 2 sizes too big for me... but I can't get rid of it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

No, at my age if I dont wear it, out it goes.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

I have one pair of threadbare jeans that I had before offspring and kept it just to see if I can fit into them years later. I can get them up, but forget zipping them. LOL

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeachyes I do !!!

Honored Contributor

I don’t keep items I don’t wear. The only exception is my wedding dress. I am a ruthless purger so I sell or donate things I don’t like or that don’t fit anymore. Don’t want them in my closet. 

Trusted Contributor

I love clothes and admit I have more than I will ever need! 

I do "save" some items that bring back great memories.  When my mom passed away the dress she wore when I got married was in her closet.  I could not part with it, I brought it home and it makes me smile (and sometimes brings tears as I miss her so much).

I'm going to a birthday dinner tonight at a very upscale restaurant.  It was so nice to know that when I opened my closets I would have many perfect options to pick from.  What did I pick......a Susan Graver top!

Respected Contributor

@kelsey17:  Just want to reassure you to hang on to your “special” dress. I wish that I had...

When I retired 10 years and downsized to my permanent home I was pressured into donating my MOB dresses from both my daughters’ weddings and I have regretted my decision ever since.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I have a clear hat box with about a dozen pearl, rhinestone, bejeweled evening bags that were given to me by my grandmother and my aunt. They are delicate and beautifully made. Looking at them, holding them reminds me of the years long ago when women dressed elegantly for dinner at fine restaurants, on cruises at the captain's table, maybe even a Hollywood premiere.

OK, a vivid imagination. These bags always carry me to a different time and memories of the women who loved me and wanted me to treasure these evening bags.