Honored Contributor

Re: Do you keep somethig beautiful in your closet even if . . .

I have a few pieces, a blue velvet pantsuit and a shiny evening gown come to mind.  I think if you have the closet space why not?  Luckily, I have a closet in an extra bedroom where I keep off-season clothing, so I have the space although my main closet is pretty packed.

I do make a point of discarding the same number of clothing items as I bring into the house now.  

I lost some weight, so I'm back in some suede pants and a suede skirt I never thought I would get into again.  The only problem is the pants are a bit high waisted for how I wear pants now, but as long as I don't wear a tucked in shirt nobody knows the difference.

Honored Contributor

I don't keep anything that I am positive I will never ever wear again.  Like my mob dress for daughter #2's wedding.  It was gorgeous and expensive and full of wonderful memories. I kept if for several years just to look at but it was just "stuff" clogging my closet.  I sold it for $100 to the friend of a friend who I didn't even know.  She wore it to her son's wedding which made me happy.  It deserved to be worn and seen.  I have some things that keep "just in case".  They are beautiful, timeless and some day there might be an occasion that calls for them. Right not, it's a couple of fancy tops and a dress.  Along those lines, I have broken the habit of keeping things "until I lose some weight".  That was really my downfall but I have broken that habit.  But, that's just me.  If you want to keep beautiful things are around you just because they are beautiful, there's nothing wrong with that.  I do that with jewelry.  Since I discovered ShopLC and their colored diamonds; I find that I buy rings I love them and they are beautiful and I love laying my jewelry out on my bed and looking at things.  Some of those things, I never wear.  They  just make me happy.  

Honored Contributor

No, I don't do that at all.  If I haven't been wearing it and won't have an occasion to wear it, out it goes. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you keep something beautiful in your closet even if . . .

I have a beautiful soft leather belt that I wore 50years ago on my hips that I now wear on my waist.The belt has never aged and looks new still and has a very unique way to buckle it.I also have another belt that was painted in paisley and was very expensive but it really doesn’t fit my waist but there is always hope.

Honored Contributor

Now that you mention it, I do, a few things I wouldn’t wear but I associate with a special day but absolutely, a beautiful piece of clothing can be art to some of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Mother of the Bride's gown i wore for my daughters wedding..............i know i will never wear it again...but just haven't been able to be rid of it......took me forever to find and it was just the right dress......................

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful jacket hand-woven by an artist here in New Mexico.  It belonged to my mother so doesn't even fit me or any of the women in my family.  It's so beautiful that I can't stand the thought of putting it in the Goodwill bag.   It's unlikely I'll ever wear it.  It's a good memory.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No. If I haven't worn it for a couple of years then out it goes. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, but only clothing and shoes meant to be worn for fancy events.  I no longer have casual, semi-dressy or business attire that I rarely wear.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @GingerPeach 

One blouse that belonged to my Grandmother.  I've never worn it, but will never get rid of it.  Otherwise, I wear everything in my closet.  Fun thread.  Hope you are well, Homegirl.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~