Super Contributor

Re: Do you hestitate to tell someone.......

I do. I announce it all the time, the same way I announce it if I got the coolest thing ever from the thrift store. People are usually admiring that you can find great things at other than the usual places. I've never had anyone look down on me because I buy some things from QVC or HSN, usually they're impressed that cool things can be found on TV and say they have to try shopping there. I've gotten quite a few converts, ha, ha.
Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2014 chrystaltree said:

Why would I hesitate to disclose that I purchased something at QVC or any other shopping channel? What am I missing? My friends and some of my co workers are QVC shoppers too and we talk about QVC all the time. It's no different than shopping at Lord and Taylor or Macy's or Amazon or with any other retailer. When I get a compliment, sometimes I tell where I bought something; sometimes I don't. It depends on who asks and when I bought the item. I'm not ashamed of what I wear or where I shop because usually, I'm the best dressed one in the room. Not bragging, just a fact.

I really think it depends on the person. I don't know many people who do much shopping online other than for Christmas gifts. Even stating that I bought something "online" tends to get shocked reactions. Yes, they are living under rocks but that is their choice.

I have known a few people who shop at shopping channels & have had fun conversations with them. I even ran into an acquaintance who was shopping with her mom & daughter at an HSN outlet once! lol... But those are rare occasions.

I really don't want people buying the same clothes I have so I really don't want to encourage it by giving details. I don't usually talk about (or ask) the stores or prices paid for anything. There are exceptions, of course.

Honored Contributor

The only time I ever admitted to purchasing from a shopping channel was during the gold glory days at ShopNBC. My husband found the channel first. After that, I was glued to that channel because they had so many high end 18K and diamonds. Graded diamonds to from designers that I actually heard of like Sonia Bitton. But those days are long gone and I haven't been around that channel or whatever their new name is.

Frequent Contributor

If I really like something someone has and I ask about/compliment the piece I do hope the person will share the details about it with me. When someone compliments or inquires about something I have on, I think they may be thinking as I do. My purchase places run the gamut. So, yes, I acknowledge where (QVC or otherwise) I have purchased in case they too, would like to buy.

Honored Contributor

If someone asks me where I got something I tell them, I don't care what people think about buying stuff from shopping channels.

Occasional Contributor

I fly my QVC Flag high. If someone will judge based on that, they're not someone worth my time. I think with anywhere, a discerning eye is what's most important. I've seen not so great clothes anywhere.

Super Contributor

I've never understood this "stigma." I would never judge someone's purchase if they had ordered it from a magazine catalog. To me, it's the same type of purchase. It didn't come from a brick and mortar store.

People do entirely too much judging--that's my judgment.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

A neighbor of mine greatly admired my D&C fleece jacket. I sent her the link and she bought the same jacket in pink.
Esteemed Contributor

What is the difference between purchasing from a catalog or magazine or TV shopping? It is just a method of selling merchandise. I remember when catalogs used to be big.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Since I never buy fashion, shoes or handbags from QVC, it's never a problem.

I get stopped a lot and asked where I got something. I don't have to lie, even if I am a bargain shopper, I buy what I like and share where I got it.

.... and with the exception of one Rachel Zoe fitted black jacket purchased here, that's where it ends.