Honored Contributor

Re: Do you hestitate to tell someone.......

On 3/24/2014 Daysdee said:
On 3/24/2014 Tique said:
On 3/24/2014 willdob3 said:
It has nothing to do with self-esteem. It has to do with not wanting to try to educate people who have made ignorant assumptions & don't want to learn. It is almost always a waste of time & energy. It is not important to explain where one buys their clothes.

I agree. I don't ask my closest friends where they got something; I will compliment them and they may say but most of the time, I don't want to know. I don't go and buy something after I see someone else in it.

I used to work at an office where we were right in the middle of some of the best shopping areas in our city. Most of the ladies would come back and show off their purchases. Not me. One day I had returned to the office and walked in on an urgent client request which I had to attend to immediately. I made the mistake of leaving my bag on my chair. When I returned, one of my co-workers had not only opened the bag but taken everything out and looked at it. The next day that same co-worker wore the exact outfit to work. I went home, re-bagged mine, and returned it. She wore that outfit at least once a week for months.

Some nerve for her to do that. Seems to me that would be like going through someone's purse.

I never thought of it but I think you're right. She was my office mate. She had 5 or 6 sisters; her mindset was if it was not locked, she was free to look at it. I was the exact opposite, only child and raised to respect the property of others. It was not a match made in heaven.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Tique said:
It has nothing to do with self-esteem. It has to do with not wanting to try to educate people who have made ignorant assumptions & don't want to learn. It is almost always a waste of time & energy. It is not important to explain where one buys their clothes.

I agree. I don't ask my closest friends where they got something; I will compliment them and they may say but most of the time, I don't want to know. I don't go and buy something after I see someone else in it.

I used to work at an office where we were right in the middle of some of the best shopping areas in our city. Most of the ladies would come back and show off their purchases. Not me. One day I had returned to the office and walked in on an urgent client request which I had to attend to immediately. I made the mistake of leaving my bag on my chair. When I returned, one of my co-workers had not only opened the bag but taken everything out and looked at it. The next day that same co-worker wore the exact outfit to work. I went home, re-bagged mine, and returned it. She wore that outfit at least once a week for months.

Some nerve for her to do that. Seems to me that would be like going through someone's purse.

That is out of line. I have had friends go out and get the same thing in a different color but sometimes the exact same thing. I guess they must like my style.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 busygirl said:
On 3/24/2014 Tique said:

That is out of line. I have had friends go out and get the same thing in a different color but sometimes the exact same thing. I guess they must like my style.

Yes it was but she didn't have boundaries. The thing that really got me was that this outfit was made up of separates. It was a crepe jacket, a blouse, and a skirt. The jacket and the blouse came in a lot of different colors. The skirt came in glen plaid or houndstooth. It was no reason for her to get my outfit. The funny thing was one day we were in a meeting and afterwards our male boss turned to her and said, 'You know every time you wear that, it makes me think of T. I don't know why but it just looks like something she would wear." I didn't know why but that just made me happy.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Trusted Contributor

I am always getting compliments from clothing I have bought from QVC. I had a dr. appt. last week and there was a woman in the waiting room that had on the same denim and co. coat that I had on. We both laughed and said QVC at the same time.
Super Contributor

When I get a compliment on something from QVC, HSN or ShopHQ, I always say it's from _____, isn't it cute, I love it and the complimenters are always wow, you got that from TV? I always tell people. They're usually impressed something cool is from TV at a good price as opposed to thinking it's strange to buy from TV. I like to spread the gospel about TV shopping, ha, ha.
Super Contributor

I got lots of comments - but other than my sister, people don't ask me where I buy my clothes.

Super Contributor

Nope...QVC is just another store in my mind. If I find something I like, I buy it. If I get compliments on it, I am happy to share where I found it. I've educated a lot of people about the advantages of shopping at QVC.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

This is a very enlightening thread. I can't believe how many pretentious and phony people are in here! You want to buy from QVC, but don't want people to know!
Regular Contributor

I tell anyone who asked. I think we are super smart to shop at Q for clothing. To me, it is often like a fashion magazine coming to life with the convenience of shopping at home and being able to purchase an outfit. I would like to see the Q stylists mix more designer pieces with other lines. For instance, I just saw a cute jacket by new designer, Joe ? (forgot last name) layered over a LOGO tank. Smart. Wish they would do more of this in shows like PM Style. I recently have styled some cute outfits with Isaac and LOGO.
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Kathleen said:

I got lots of comments - but other than my sister, people don't ask me where I buy my clothes.

I get lots of compliments but most people don't ask where I bought things - clothes or other things. It is a rather rude question, IMO. I don't go around asking people where they bought their clothes.

My mom always asks where I got things and what I paid. This is so she can roll her eyes and make some sort of annoying comment. I usually "forget" the info based on past experience.