Honored Contributor

Re: Do you hestitate to tell someone.......

If someone asks me, I tell them its from QVC but I tell them I shop online and do not watch the TV (except for Linea shows!)

I think there is still a stigma of shopping from your TV. Less of a stigma shopping from online.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I am not pretentious nor do I lie to pretentious people whose opinion doesn't matter to me. I can't imagine why anyone would be so bothered and ashamed to say they bought something from QVC or any shopping channel!! Maybe low self esteem could cause someone to want to be something they are not. Anyone who would look down on me because of where I buy from is not worth bothering with.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Pook said:

I am not pretentious nor do I lie to pretentious people whose opinion doesn't matter to me. I can't imagine why anyone would be so bothered and ashamed to say they bought something from QVC or any shopping channel!! Maybe low self esteem could cause someone to want to be something they are not. Anyone who would look down on me because of where I buy from is not worth bothering with.

It has nothing to do with self-esteem. It has to do with not wanting to try to educate people who have made ignorant assumptions & don't want to learn. It is almost always a waste of time & energy. It is not important to explain where one buys their clothes.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 willdob3 said:
It has nothing to do with self-esteem. It has to do with not wanting to try to educate people who have made ignorant assumptions & don't want to learn. It is almost always a waste of time & energy. It is not important to explain where one buys their clothes.

I agree. I don't ask my closest friends where they got something; I will compliment them and they may say but most of the time, I don't want to know. I don't go and buy something after I see someone else in it.

I used to work at an office where we were right in the middle of some of the best shopping areas in our city. Most of the ladies would come back and show off their purchases. Not me. One day I had returned to the office and walked in on an urgent client request which I had to attend to immediately. I made the mistake of leaving my bag on my chair. When I returned, one of my co-workers had not only opened the bag but taken everything out and looked at it. The next day that same co-worker wore the exact outfit to work. I went home, re-bagged mine, and returned it. She wore that outfit at least once a week for months.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, everyone who knows me is 'what you see, is what there is'. They all know my stuff either comes from QVC and or HSN.

I don't care who knows what.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2014 Tique said:
On 3/24/2014 willdob3 said:

I agree. I don't ask my closest friends where they got something; I will compliment them and they may say but most of the time, I don't want to know. I don't go and buy something after I see someone else in it.

I used to work at an office where we were right in the middle of some of the best shopping areas in our city. Most of the ladies would come back and show off their purchases. Not me. One day I had returned to the office and walked in on an urgent client request which I had to attend to immediately. I made the mistake of leaving my bag on my chair. When I returned, one of my co-workers had not only opened the bag but taken everything out and looked at it. The next day that same co-worker wore the exact outfit to work. I went home, re-bagged mine, and returned it. She wore that outfit at least once a week for months.

Some nerve for her to do that. Seems to me that would be like going through someone's purse.

Honored Contributor

If not low self esteem why would someone state about caring that others think there is a stigma to shopping with a shopping channel and ""It has to do with not wanting to try to educate people who have made ignorant assumptions & don't want to learn?"" Why would you feel the need to educate anyone that pretentious about your shopping choices. Own it with pride!! It has nothing to do with educating anyone - just feeling confident enough with yourself and your purchasing choices. Just say you bought it from QVC. No explanations needed if you are not trying to justify your purchase and that comes from low self esteem. Why the need to lie and say another store? Low self esteem does cause a person to lie and feel bad about where they purchase things because they think what the other person thinks reflects poorly on them.

Trusted Contributor

Good grief,Tique. How violated you must have felt and how enraged you must have been. Amazing the nerve some people have. I don 't think most people understand TV shopping. They do get the online part. I don 't explain.....
Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem telling people where I buy my "stuff" from.....most people know where I shop, anyway....and I really don't care....nothing to be ashamed of....

Valued Contributor

They ask I tell and it is usually because they admire the item.