Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have your entire wardrobe out at all times, or do you switch it out seasonally?

I live in a 4 season climate, and everything except coats is stored in my bedroom closet and 2 dressers. I do not have a walk-in closet so I have to keep my wardrobe pared down so everything fits. All I do is move things to the back of the rod so the items I want to wear that season are easier to access. I have separate dresser drawers for sweaters, tees, etc. related to weather. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have your entire wardrobe out at all times, or do you switch it out seasonally?

@rissajaneen      I have no closet space in my house... I have clothes hanging up in a spare bedroom on clothes racks... wish I had a california closet.. but that is not going to happen.. I do the best I can.  I do not switch anything out.. I just know where my spring clothes or summer clother or winter clothes are hanging up.

Honored Contributor

We don't have seasons, so my closet and dresser contain all my clothes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Due to a mid- construction decision change, I had to give up part of my walk-in closet to accommodate the original stall shower that I wanted to complete the master bath.

My closet is Walk-Thru with the side walls for in season clothing.  Mid-way through the closet is a very deep  and narrow area.  In the front part I have 2 rods for dressy jackets, vests, tunic tops and mock t-necks.  The summer clothes are in the back and cascade hooked from a rod.

Despite the seasons, I always have the right choice within easy reach.

In vacation condo, it is a different story!  In the picture below is my closet: sweat shirts in the pullout drawers and slacks cascading next to it.  In FL, I live in the tank long dresses:

7E91A7ED-33A9-43FF-971A-E6CCF8B23F04.jpeg

273E607B-FC71-46AD-A9B7-7A03196DD986.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

We have four distinct seasons where I live, so I switch out clothes.  I know I am in the minority here, but I love the process of taking out and putting away.  It is a great time for sorting and donating.  

We have a lake home and I do leave summer clothes and swimwear there.  I like the simple wardrobe I have there.  Sometimes I wonder if I could/should simplify the rest of my wardrobe to the minimalist amount I have at the lake.  But I quickly realize that I need more variety for the lifestyle I have the rest of the year.  

Respected Contributor

We have distinct seasons but I mostly just need to switch clothes from the front to the back of the closet. I do switch out sandals and boots, in fact planning to do that this weekend.

Honored Contributor

i am in maryland.....four seasons......my entire wardrobe is easily accessible at all times. if it is 20 degrees in august i am set. if it is 90 degrees in january i am set. Smiley Wink

i dont switch out my clothing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen Hi!  I'm in the mountains of western NC.  

I designed this house with a walk in closet, mine down one nside and his on the other with a double bar half way back since pants and shirts only take half the space.  There's a wall then floor to ceiling shelves. (Our tees, and my capris).

My "problem" is that I don't have the triple dresser or chest of drawers most people have.  I have primitive antiques 1800-1920.  I also have my grandmother's large crystal vanity which has two drawers on each side, just large enough for underwear and tights. I also have a drop center dresser with only 2 drawers, (his pants).

This!Antique Walnut American Renaissance Victorian Drop Well Dresser, Marble Tops For Sale

I have long skirts, long cardigan sweaters, blazer type jackets, suede jackets in the closet along with "dress" clothes.  Winter coats are on an outerwear rack just inside the door where they can dry or whatever.

My current items that I rotate for work wear are in our large laundry room.  I put two sets of shelves in there for folded sweaters and blouses.  I have a large scarf holder as well.  I love the colors and patterns of scarves.  I am now a professional stylist, retired from teaching.

My spring, summer, and "planning to consign" are in the basement in large plastic snap top tubs which are large enough to lay two hangers side by side.  I put things away on the hanger, folded in half.  I pull them out and they're ready to hang.  I also have to put away my scarves that have merino wool or cashmere.  

(It IS true!  HSN Huggable Hangers save lots of space!  I get them on sale with free SH).

I would suggest if you have a basement or an extra closet, to get some snap lid rubber containers.  You can also get under the bed containers for off season items.

Let me know if I can help you.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@rissajaneen  I also don't have a lot of closet space. It's a walk in closet, but I think it barely meets that definition Cat Tongue

My current system is a bad one. Everything is crammed in there and it is hard to find what I am looking for. 

I seriously need to get better organized. Good luck with yours!

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

Most of spring and summer are packed away. Fall and winter are in use. In winter I just wear more layers than in fall.

Here, spring is still far away. I have another 4-6 weeks of snow, slush, & ice, followed by another 4 weeks of our fifth season, aka "mud season".

When I switch from cold to warm weather clothes I also switch out and launder all the winter bedding, my recliner seat cover, ottoman cover, all the cat's beds/blankets, and snuggle boxes.

I also wash all the rugs, table runners, and anything else that can go through a washer.

I hang dry everything out in the sun before storing it away for the next warm to cool seasonal switch.