Frequent Contributor

Do you have your entire wardrobe out at all times, or do you switch it out seasonally?

We got a dusting of snow yesterday in NC, but I'm ignoring that and hoping that spring is right around the corner!  Which got me thinking about switching out my wardrobe for the new season...

Do you have enough space (or have a small enough wardrobe?) that all of your clothes are out at all times?  Or do you switch out your wardrobe seasonally? 

I don't have a lot of storage, so right now all my winter stuff is out and all my summer stuff is packed away.  I dream of having one of those walk in closets where one side could be winter and one side could be summer and there would be shelves to fold all my sweaters... but that is just not my reality. 

I leave out good pants, 3/4 sleeve tops, neutral colored tank tops that I layer with, thin cardigans, blouses,close toed flats/heels, and work dresses/skirts all year round.  I have a permanent drawer of bathing suits and rubber flip flops and sarongs, because I hope to escape winter for a bit and want to have the essentials ready to pack.  Right now I have all my sweaters, turtlenecks, sweater dresses, blazers, jeans, and boots in my closet for winter.  As the weather turns I will gradually put all that away and pull out summery dresses, bright tanks, breezy skirts, sandals, capris, and shorts.  It's a lot of work to do a "closet flip" with the seasons, and sometimes I end up with totes pulled out and overflowing in the corner where the weather has surprised me and I needed to dig a piece out of storage.  

Any tips on how you manage a wardrobe for all seasons?  I live in NC and we do get freezing temps in winter and 90 degree days in summer, so I struggle with how to have everything for every season.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have your entire wardrobe out at all times, or do you switch it out seasonally?

[ Edited ]

I store my clothes the same way you do. I live in Maryland at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. I have the QVC storage boxes that I keep my off-season clothing in on a shelf in my closet and I keep my off-season shoes in three containers under my bed. 

On March 15th, I will put my wool and cashmere sweaters away and all of my dark-colored winter clothes that are too "wintery" in design to wear at the beginning of spring regardless of the weather. I have lighter colored cotton textured open cardigan sweaters from LL Bean that I will wear over Pima cotton shirts from Isaac and LL Bean.

The in-between seasons of summer/fall and winter/spring are very hard for those of us who live in four climate seasons. I find layering in cotton clothing works for me. It can both warm and cool.

When we retire to a smaller house I will have to reduce my wardrobe dramatically. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have your entire wardrobe out at all times, or do you switch it out seasonally?

We're really fortunate that our master closet is huge. It's the size of a smallish room. So, all of my clothes are in there.

It takes me less than 5 minutes each season to bring in season to the front and move off season to the back. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Except for coats and outerwear jackets and some formal attire, all of my clothing as well as my DH's is in the master closet.

I don't have to switch or store my seasonal things at all.  I do hang my clothing upfront for the seasons.  Right now my summer tops are in the back and my winter things up front.  My summer pants, capris, shorts, etc hang on a top rod and my jeans and winter pants on the lower rod.

I have a ton of 3/4 sleeve t shirts that I wear all season long, so they occupy a front space in my closet.

I have a California Closet custom system, complete with rods at different levels as well as shelves.  I can store things close to the ceiling on the upper shelves and I have cubbies for shoes and handbags.  I have a lot of those fabric folding cubes that you can buy at the dollar store.  I use them to store swim suits, flip flops and seasonal stuff on the upper shelves.  I have a few of them sitting on the floor sitting under my hanging clothing too. They are hidden from view, but easy to get to.

Before my closet was organized, I had a ton of wasted space and had to seperate my seasonal clothing and store them in tubs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in NY I pack my off season clothes except a few pieces away at the end of each season

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

So far I am Ok with my 2 closets. I keep one for winter ,and one for summer. If I get much more though, I will be really tight for space

Respected Contributor

I have plenty of storage space, so no need to pack things away if they're out of season. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We have a walk in closet, so everything is out all the time.  I have shelves to store sweaters and other things that I don't hang.  I have varying heights so I can hang pants and dresses.  Outwear is stores in a coat closet.  

Honored Contributor

I keep everything the same throughout the year. I live in Colorado. Between the erratic weather and going up in elevation where the mountains are located, that can require a four-season wardrobe all in a single day. 

Honored Contributor

I have a walk in closet (it is not huge however), and I try to keep my clothing to a manageable size so that everything fits except for winter coats and jackets. My folded items fit in a dresser. Shoes are on 2 over the door shoe hangers, which I had permanently mounted on the back closet wall, instead of hanging over a door. Boots are in a built-in shoe/boot cabinet.
"To each their own, in all things".