Super Contributor

Re: Do you have trouble letting go of clothing items?

@Susan Louise  Thank you

Respected Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

@Susan Louise  Could you tell me what you did for your weight loss and lifestyle change?  I have also tried multiple diets. I would like to take 15 lbs off but they are the most stubborn lbs I have ever faced. Even going under 1000 cal a day or 20 carbs a day did not budge them.  I would welcome any advise.

Here is what I did starting last October and lost 40 Lbs.  .. A Modified Keto ..

No bread .. pasta or rice ....could still go out to eat ... just order .. say a

burger with no bun ....Phiily cheese steak on a plate .. no bun ...mainely

veggies and meat ... no cereal either .. boy did cereal fuel my appetite ..

Pizza ... just took the cheese off the crust ....snacks .... olives ...

I found I wasn't hungry at all ... did I have cravings at times .. sure ..

as I am a sugar-holic .....

On the physcology side of it ... if I find I want something after dinner ..

I asked myself did you have proper nutrition for dinner ... and if the

answer is yes ... which it usually is .... I say No ... but .. thank god

for sugar free gum ....

Good luck .. I feel so much better ... and with the clothing thing which

was the point of this text .... I .. for the first time got rid of the fat clothes ..

Boy does that keep you on track .... don't want to spend the money on

new clothes ... especially larger size ... that has me saying no a lot ...

Again .. good luck ...

Honored Contributor

That's a big "no" from me. For the past two years, over the course of my weight loss journey, I've been redoing my wardrobe with each new season.  The local resale shop loves seeing us come in with the items I can't use since they are in perfect condition.  The worst of all of it was buying too many things too quickly. I'd only wear certain things, like a Barefoot Dreams sweater, a couple of times and then they'd suddenly be too big.  Those nicer items, I've given to a family member.  I'm living a new lifestyle and have no intention of ever wearing my bigger clothes.  To hang onto them wouldn't make sense.  There have been some things that I've liked so much, in a particular style or fabric pattern, that I've repurchased the same item in smaller sizes as needed.  Truth be told, I still buy way too many clothes for the way we live these days. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@queendiva 

I identify with a lot of what you have written!  I do love so many of my things and they were made so nicely --- I know I will never find things like this again!  And you wrote that  a dress you had long ago, you now can wear to a wedding!  This is another reason I am so hesitant to get rid of things!  When I retired I went through and donated so many beautiful, different and lovely things that it just broke my heart!  This is also very time consuming.  I know that I truly can't even attempt this until I am of the right minset!  

I went through the same thing, when I retired. I did a purge of many work clothes. They were very well made and the fabric was so nice. I knew if I were to go out and try to buy a similar item, it would be no where near the same quality.

Since retiring most days I spend in very casual clothes. My nice clothing rarely exits the closet. Guess it is time for another purge.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   Several times in years past, I've gone through the stored clothes in my attic, trying to 'weed out' the old, etc.  I have always just picked them up, gazed lovingly at them and crammed them back in the storage box, thinking one day I'll fit back into them.  Well guess what?  Since May, I've lost about 25 pounds so I am  glad I didn't throw away my smaller clothes. #winning ! #neversaynever!

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

I am more careful shopping these days, too!  And I don't need many clothes --- I want them but I don't need them!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 

Doing it regularly probably does make it easier but I don't seem to be able to stick to a schedule!  I knew a person who every time she bought a new item she would get rid of an item.  It worked for her but not for me! 

Honored Contributor

@Rose429 

I always think that something I'm looking at will be perfect and I will wear it a lot.  Sometimes this is true and sometimes it's not!  I try and be a lot more picky these days and think about things for a bit before I commit, but it's hard!  

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 

That is kind of my thought also.  The quality and price are more often not the same as before!  So, I think --- well, it still fits, it still is in very good condition, so why discard?  I might be looking for a similar item shortly and then it will not be half as good as what I got rid of!  

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda 

I have done the very same thing in the past!  Over the last years I have had some weight fluctuations and had I gotten rid of my things, I would have had to purchase mostly a new wardrobe.  So, at times it does pay to just wait and see!  Congrats on your weight loss!