Honored Contributor

Do you have trouble letting go of clothing items?

I did a major purge awhile back after I retired and got rid of a ton of stuff that I absolutely knew I would never wear again since I hopefully would not be working again!  

My question is --- do you have trouble letting go of clothing items which still fit and are in perfect condition, but that you just don't seem to wear?  I really do!  I know I should weed a lot of these things out and someone would get good use from them, but then I pull something out and think ---- but this is so pretty --- I might need it some day and then it will be gone!  I have actually done this in the past --- gotten rid of this or that and then really have needed it!  

How do you get past this?  As you can tell, I form a strong attachment to my clothing!  LOL!  Especially now, since I rarely, if ever, find things which I truly like!

Thanks for replying! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have trouble letting go of clothing items?

@AngelPuppy1   No.   I do routine purges.   When I haven't worn an item of clothing in 6 mos/year I donate.   I hate looking at clothes that I don't wear and remind me how much money I wasted. 🙃

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat 

You have a good point!  I buy clothing items with good intention but my needs or circumstances change, I guess!  Another way I reason it it --- well, if I ever want it or need it, I have it!  Then I don't have to spend more money!  Beats me!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I guess I'm no help!

When I worked at the country club, I wore beautiful suits. They were very expensive back then. And there they still are hanging in my closet, all in great condition. I can still fit in them. Well, I did get rid of a couple.

Years ago, when I started teaching college, I wore one. I soon learned that it was a very casual campus!

Honored Contributor

Omg, I was so surprised to realize that I was so emotional about my clothes!  Every time I take stuff out to give away, I put a few back with lies about, losing weight and wearing it next year.  Or, it's not out of style when actually it is, lol.  Some of the clothes give me a happy feeling just to look at because I wore them to happy events.

I don't buy many things anymore because I don't have room.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 : I could have written this post. Perfect timing as I have been going through my closets since last week, cleaning out what's there before I pack up the summer clothes and bring up winter from basement storage.

I had clothes that I packed up and moved from my previous home. I have lost a lot of weight since the pandemic- still losing- and I am not going back to those sizes ever again.

I am horrified at how many clothes I have and specifically how many I am getting rid of, but they have accumulated over many years

I am not sure if I have advice for you, except to say rid yourself of some clothes on a regular basis- monthly, seasonally or a couple of times a year.  The one in/ one out rule does not work for me as it does for some.

My clothes have been carefully chosen. I really liked most but had more options than I could ever really wear. In some cases it was like saying goodbye to old friends who had literally been with me for years. In my case I had to wait years until the time was right for me to do this. As stated earlier, I wish I had let things go along the way. 

I also used to "save" things because they were good and I might need them later. I got past that and have a small, uncluttered and well-edited home. I have to use that same thinking for my closets: well edited and perfect for me now. I now buy with both price and use in mind. No buying just because it's on sale or I might need it someday, although I just found a dress in my cleanup that was too small years ago and now looks great to wear to a wedding next month.

I also agree with you that I prefer my clothes from Then over those from Now. Most are better fabrics, construction and styles. I find myself buying NWT items from labels I know on eBay. Before buying from QVC , HSN and favorite retailers I always look for the item on the Bay and usually find it for a lot less.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I did a major purge awhile back after I retired and got rid of a ton of stuff that I absolutely knew I would never wear again since I hopefully would not be working again!  

My question is --- do you have trouble letting go of clothing items which still fit and are in perfect condition, but that you just don't seem to wear?  I really do!  I know I should weed a lot of these things out and someone would get good use from them, but then I pull something out and think ---- but this is so pretty --- I might need it some day and then it will be gone!  I have actually done this in the past --- gotten rid of this or that and then really have needed it!  

How do you get past this?  As you can tell, I form a strong attachment to my clothing!  LOL!  Especially now, since I rarely, if ever, find things which I truly like!

Thanks for replying! 

Good morning @AngelPuppy1 . I purged long ago, so everything I have fits, loved and worn often. I parted with a few wool/cashmere long coats that I never wore.That hurt a lot.

When I need to donate something expensive, I figure the money was spent and gone, so why worry about it now? I just learned to make more careful choices. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am reminded of two of my aunts, ages 88 and 91 years young who still occasionally wear favorite clothes from the 60s and 70s!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Thanks for replying! 

No

as some of you may or may not know I started selling my unused stuff on Poshmark and looking at the sold stuff I don't remember having it.

if you are not wearing it, or have not it a year let it go

donate or sell 

Honored Contributor

2294B598-D8D5-4FEC-8627-67662D538572_1_201_a.jpegthis sign I found somewhere hangs in my closet, I think all the points are true