Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have trouble letting go of clothing items?

I have a hard time letting clothing go.  I do get rid of things but it’s a slow process.  I’m also not particularly good at identifying out of style things.  Maybe because I tend to buy classic type clothing. 

Honored Contributor

No, I don't have trouble letting go of clothes at all.  I don't have emotional attachments to most of my possessions. 

There are some things in the house that I have strong attachment to, but not that many.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

Yes! That's another thing!  Some of the things were expensive and I remember how I felt when I wore them!  And I have to say that they just don't make clothes like they used to!  If something is truly out of style and does not fit at all, then I do get rid of it, but that's about it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the attachment!  I have some things which I can look at and just smile and think -- Oh, I wore that when....  I have to say that I do get rid of things that I can no longer fit in.  But, if I could just make myself get rid of a lot of things I would have room for new things!  Not that I need them! 

Honored Contributor

@queendiva 

I identify with a lot of what you have written!  I do love so many of my things and they were made so nicely --- I know I will never find things like this again!  And you wrote that  a dress you had long ago, you now can wear to a wedding!  This is another reason I am so hesitant to get rid of things!  When I retired I went through and donated so many beautiful, different and lovely things that it just broke my heart!  This is also very time consuming.  I know that I truly can't even attempt this until I am of the right minset!  

Honored Contributor

you all will cringe when I say I listed the dress I got married in. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I did get rid of a ton of beautiful wool coats and cashmere and leather items!  Silk also.  I just never wore these lovely things and they were taking up a ton of space.  Lots of wool skirts and sweater and knits!  Oh, goodness.  Now, I see where my life is after retirement and know what I've been wearing and see that I don't wear much of my things at all.  But I'm not prepared to give everything nice away at this point! 

Honored Contributor

@queendiva 

I guess if you can still wear the items and they give you pleasure, then why not?  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear 

That's good you are orgaized and have done well by selling some.  I don't want to deal with that.  When I retired, I donated probably well over 100 large bags of clothing.  I will do it again some day -----

Trusted Contributor

I think you have to do what works for you. For me, it seems to be using my closet real estate to the best advantage. I want only things that fit me, are comfortable, and that look good on me. The "does it spark joy" business doesn't'work for me. I watch many decluttering videos on u tube, and save the ones that resonate for me. Kind of a mish mash of things, but whatever helps you is the right way to declutter.