Honored Contributor

I have been to a few. One was a few years ago. My friend asked me to go with her to see some outerwear coats that were being shown locally at one of the hotels here. Then another one was a leather-goods show with many local leathersmiths and they had models wearing some of their creations. This month, with it being breast-cancer awareness month, there are a few upcoming fashion shows featuring more dressier and formal stuff. I really like going to the shows and seeing what they have and the people in the audience sure are interesting, too.Woman Happy Never did buy anything.

Have you ever been to a fashion show? What did you see?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you go to fashion shows?

Only at malls and those are amateur for a store or event.

Honored Contributor

I used to go to an annual fundraiser fashion show.  The products were all from local stores and the models were also local.  I've never been to a runway show though. 

Closest I ever came to that was watching models walking through Saks in Palm Beach wearing things I could never afford to wear or think about fitting onto my body.  Makes me think Fashion Week in NYC or anywhere is for designer exposure, not for someone like me to find a wardrobe item.

Honored Contributor

I can recall going to two of them ... one many years ago at a local department store.  If I remember correctly, it was sponsored by fabric and pattern companies.  It was before I got married - so it had to be more than 50 years ago.  (I made my own clothes for years!)  Back in those days, department stores sold fabrics and patterns.

The last time was a fasion show of hand knits.  That had to be at least 10 years ago.  

Honored Contributor

Way back in the dark ages, when I was a little girl, the better dept stores had fashion shows and my Mom would take me.  And when I was older, a lot of charities and churches put on fashion shows as fundraisers. I went to several of those back in sahm days.  But I haven't been to one or even heard about one since probably the early 2000's.  I wouldn't go to one now.  

Honored Contributor

No. The only ones I ever hear of in this area are amateur fund-raiser ones. 

If someone wants to pay for the trip I'll happily go to a big one in NYC or Paris... 

Respected Contributor

Never been to a "real" one put on by a designer, but would love to go to a few. I miss the TV old show "Style" that showed nice fashion styles.

Respected Contributor

I've never been to a real fashion show.  Once when I was in my 20's I actually was a model in a bridal show.  It was weird wearing a wedding dress!  If I want to see what's in style now, I just watch the shopping channels (not QVC though).

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Way back in the dark ages, when I was a little girl, the better dept stores had fashion shows and my Mom would take me.  And when I was older, a lot of charities and churches put on fashion shows as fundraisers. I went to several of those back in sahm days.  But I haven't been to one or even heard about one since probably the early 2000's.  I wouldn't go to one now.  

This brings back a memory for me.  I was about 12 and I went with a friend and her mother to a department store for lunch.  While we ate, women were modeling clothes -- wandering throughout the restaurant.  It all seemed so sophisticated to me as I had never been to anything like that before!

Honored Contributor

The only fashion shows I attend are charity events.