Honored Contributor

Re: Do you follow the care instructions on the label?

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

I never hand wash anything with the exception of my silk pillowcases (or anything else that's silk). I'll wash delicate items in the machine on the gentle cycle and air dry. Incidentally, I also do this with items that say dry clean and I've had good results. Apparently, you can wash these items as long as the tag says dry clean but not if it says dry clean only.

I put my silk items in the mesh-like laundry bag and wash them on hand-wash cycle.  I even put my Hermes and Ferragamo scarves in the washer on that cycle in the bag and then I dry them flat on a towel and when they are only moist, I iron them on silk setting.  I am afraid to send my nice scarves to the dry cleaners for fear of them getting "lost" and not being paid the true value should they disappear at the dry cleaners.

Honored Contributor

I sure don't follow the "lay flat to dry" instructions.    I don't have enough room except in the middle of the living room floor.....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I never handwash. I have no fear of my washing machine and use a mesh bag, but I respect all of my clothes in the dryer. My dryer makes a lot of promises it doesn't keep.

Respected Contributor

I don't really hand wash anything.  If something is that delicate, I will dry clean it.

I take good care of my clothes.  I have a gentle cycle on my washing machine.  I wash with cold water on gentle and then tumble for a few minutes and either hang to dry or dry flat. 

I don't stuff my clothes on the closet rack.  I try to keep space in between in each item so it doesn't get smashed.  I fold my sweaters on shelves so they don't "grow"

Honored Contributor

I read them or about them before I buy them. Mostly I get cotton, so no problemo.

Honored Contributor

I follow care nstructions within reason. My spanky new Kenmore washer has been doing a really nice job on ALL of my laundry, so I'm learning how to use it in the most effective ways possible.

So far it hasn't failed me.

Esteemed Contributor

There are three types of clothing that I won't buy. 1) clothing that wrinkles when I wad it up in a ball in the store. I don't iron. In fact I don't have an iron. 2) dry clean only clothing.  Don't want the added expense or bother. 3) hand wash, lay flat items. If it can't take being thrown in with the rest of my stuff it stays in the store. I have enough laundry to do and don't want to baby stuff. Plus I only wear sweats, jeans, tee shirts etc. on the rare occasion I need something special I will find an easy care outfit. 

Honored Contributor

No, I do not follow what the label says unless it says to dry clean or spot clean, which is seldom.

Honored Contributor

Barring certain materials I believe the potential for damage lies in the dryer, not in the washing machine, especially if you have a front loader because there's no moving parts
Honored Contributor

Sometimes manufacturers will put dry clean on a piece of clothing to keep from having consumer problems.  I look at the fabric content before I buy.  

Mostly, I use cold water, Dark Woolite, and line dry.

It's rare that I dryclean.