Honored Contributor

Do you follow the care instructions on the label?

I ask because I have items that say hand wash but when you look at the fabrication it's identical to another garment hanging in my closet that is machine wash tumble dry low!? I've already thrown a couple of Slinky items in the washing machine, with no ill effects, because I could see no reason to hand wash but I was curious what everyone else is doing. Incidentally these are items with no embellishments
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you follow the care instructions on the label?

When garments say handwashing,  I put them in a lingerie bag and wash on gentle.   Lay flat or hang to dry.   Sometimes the trim,  method of fabrication,  buttons,  interfacing,  etc call for careful handling.  It's not just the fabric content. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I never hand wash.  I wash on gentle or perm press cycle & line/air dry.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

In my case it's strictly fabrications; no buttons, no embellishments, no lace ( that I'm opting to throw in the machine)
I do have garments with buttons, with embellishments, with lace that still say machine wash! Go figure
Honored Contributor

I do follow instructions when it says to hang dry but hand wash? Not so much
Respected Contributor

I never hand wash anything with the exception of my silk pillowcases (or anything else that's silk). I'll wash delicate items in the machine on the gentle cycle and air dry. Incidentally, I also do this with items that say dry clean and I've had good results. Apparently, you can wash these items as long as the tag says dry clean but not if it says dry clean only.

Honored Contributor

I use cold water and the gentle or hand wash cycle on my machine for most of my clothes regardless of the instructions. I also use very low heat or lay things flat to dry. I think it is the best way to take care of clothes so they look better and last longer. 

Honored Contributor

I do ... I'm almost OCD about it.   I learned my lesson the hard way.

Honored Contributor

I try not to buy anything that says hand wash.  If something slips through I put it in the washing machine.  I don't hand wash anything.  Haven't had any issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I follow care instructions because I don't want to risk ruining something I paid my money for.  I like my clothes.   If something says handwash, I handwash.  However, there are things that say machine wash that I handwash.  I can just look at something and see that it will come out better if I handwash it.  I also have a drying rack in my bathroom and I dry a lot of things on that.  Things that say they can go in the dryer but even a cool dryer "beat up" clothes after a while.  I prefer to err on the side of caution.