Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you do this at B&M stores?

I don't typically do that, but I work B&M retail (not clothes) and people take photos of the products all the time, for various reasons, which include comparison shopping.

People come in to look, and pass the time, and we are set up to welcome that.  People appreciate it and tell others, which we think leads to repeat business. It's a long-term investment.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

No, I very seldom shop in BM stores, except for my semi annual visit to Bath and Body Works. I like to go Home Good Stores too.

I only buy clothing when I need it or when it’s priced so low that I can’t pass it up.  I shop  for clothing mainly at Lands End or Christopher Banks, so I shop online.

I no longer buy things I want, but do not need.  I purged 36 garbage bags of clothing, plus bags of shoes and handbags a few years ago, and I will never buy that many things again.

it took a awhile to figure it out, but all that stuff was a waste of money.

Honored Contributor

@chessylady

While I personally tend to buy when I see it I do know that often times the on line price is significantly cheaper than the price in the store.  I discovered this a while back at Nordstrom. Saw a beautiful tank for $78! Too much for what it was but when I looked it up online it was 58!

Honored Contributor

@house_catI'd only do that if I absolutely had to have a specific item.  Otherwise, I take the absence of it in the store as a sign I should try to do without.

Because I'd really like stores to survive, I try to buy as much locally as I can - and because I don't buy all that often any longer, it's not all that difficult for me to do.

Respected Contributor

Annabellethecat, I gave three Kohl's gift cards for Christmas gifts; I bought them at Kroger (they have a wide selection of available cards) and earned gas points at the same time.

(But that might not be an option for you.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I go to a B&M store it is to look around because I have a very good coupon or they have a brand that I like.  I buy very little in the B&M stores because I don't like the feel of the material unless you are on the expensive floor.  I often leave without making a purchase.  I would not bother with a photo of the tag and coming home to order.

If I see something in the store that I want, I will purchase it when I am there in the store.  If it is not my size, I would just forget about it.  It surely would be nothing I need because I already have way too much and my thinking would be "Good, one less item in my closet:.

If I am going to buy an item seen in B&M store, I would purchase there and not on line as I want to support our malls or they will soon be a thing of the past with on-line shopping.  And I do not see that as a good thing.

I buy most of my clothes at QVC in the brands I know and like and in a few catalogs I have been purchasing from for years.  I go to their website to order somethng I might have seen in their catalog.  I do not go to their websites to browse and see what is new.  I'm trying to be a good girl and decrease my buying and not browsing on line or visiting the mall helps.  And that is not more I am addding to my QVC purchasing. 

As I age, mall shopping is more of an ordeal and less of an enjoyable way to spend the day.  I used to shop at the mall just about every weekend and could spend hours there.  That certainly no longer appeals to me.  It is in, a quick look around, and out again.

I still enjoy clothes and putting together outfits and shopping at QVC is an easy way for me to indulge in my "hobby".

Esteemed Contributor

I love shopping.  It is hard to beat the prices of department stores for their end of season sales, not to mention trying it on.  I do order some things on line but prefer to go shopping!

Respected Contributor

Chico's is my favorite store and I often shop there.  However, a lot of times I will try things on at the store and then order online.  One reason is that my local store doesn't carry petite pants, so I will try the pants on in a regular size just to check for the fit and then order the petites online.  The other reason if it is a new item they are often over $100 and usually about once a week their online site has a code for 50% off $100 so it wouldn't be wise to buy that item knowing I could get it for half price online.  Other times if I like an expensive item but want to wait until it goes on sale, I will snap a photo and a photo of the tag so I can remember the style and name.  

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

Yup, I like browsing and window shopping in person and if I like something I may take a photo of it like shoes so I can find it online and see what it sells for in the U.S.

In Canada Hudson's Bay has price disparities online and in store. They don't even price match themselves. I recently bought an INC International Concepts top that in store was on sale for $23 but it was about $35 online still.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@chessylady

While I personally tend to buy when I see it I do know that often times the on line price is significantly cheaper than the price in the store.  I discovered this a while back at Nordstrom. Saw a beautiful tank for $78! Too much for what it was but when I looked it up online it was 58!

@Andreatoo,Was the price difference during the same time?