Honored Contributor

Do you do this at B&M stores?

I often go to local brick and mortar stores for inpspiration, or to pass time.  They rarely have the styles I want in my preferred color and size, especially shoes.  I take photos of the item tags, then go home and order what I want in my size and color. I've been pleasantly suprised that I always get the same sale price and often do better with promo codes.

Does anyone else do this?

I guess it's why the B&M stores are going out of business.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you do this at B&M stores?

Happy New Year @house_cat

As a tall person who primarily shops JCP online, there have been instances when I saw an item and wondered what it looked like or felt like and I have gone to the store to check it out in non tall sizes before ordering.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama

Happy New Year to you, too, Bird!

If only there was a way for me to give you the extra length that I have to chop off of everything!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been known to shop at a store just to see if I like something and go home and order online. There was a bag I liked last year that was on sale and I went to Dillard’s to check it out first. They wouldn’t price match so I ordered it online.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand why someone would not just buy it at the store if you are already there. If you try it on at the store, you would know it fits you without returns. Exception might be if they don't have your size/color or you were undecided. Please tell me why you order online in this situation.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I’ve been known to shop at a store just to see if I like something and go home and order online. There was a bag I liked last year that was on sale and I went to Dillard’s to check it out first. They wouldn’t price match so I ordered it online.

I do this too.  Check it out in a store, come back and order online especially with free shipping it can be cheaper.  And where we live the sales tax is cheaper when an item is ordered online. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm with you @chessylady, I don't understant that either. Maybe to try and get a lower price ?   But then if you can't you then have to go back to the store and hope they still have it.  Sounds like an awful lot of trouble and time wasted. 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I often go to local brick and mortar stores for inpspiration, or to pass time.  They rarely have the styles I want in my preferred color and size, especially shoes.  I take photos of the item tags, then go home and order what I want in my size and color. I've been pleasantly suprised that I always get the same sale price and often do better with promo codes.

Does anyone else do this?

I guess it's why the B&M stores are going out of business.

@house_cat I can see doing that.  Kudos to you for getting the best prices.  Good idea. 

Honored Contributor

Two days before Christmas I went into Kohls.  I'd not been in a store (other than pet or groceries) in well over 3 years!

I had to get my friend a Kohls gift card!  She doesn't shop on line and love Kohls.  I walked around and saw zip to buy!  I had to wait in a huge line just to get a gift card.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  When I gave her the gift card she was so happy, not because it was a gift card to Kohls but because she knows how much I HATE any kind of stores.

I used to be a shopper who'd go out in the morning and come home in the evening.  No more.  For one thing I have a bad back and can't walk around a lot, but mostly I can't stand being around all of these people.

It seems like where I live (Northern Va) there has been an unbelievable surge in people moving here.  Where I live it's more like 'the country' with one acre lots, dead end streets, two lane roads.  

Yet these people move from 'the city' and they want major highways built and more and more stop lights.....

Phew!  Now I'm worked up!  Ha!  

I wear what I like but then I'm old.  I like everything (color-wise) to match.  I dress a lot like Mary Beth (Denim colored jackets with white or colored blouses under hanging out).  All of my jewelry (colors) all match.

I do get a lot of compliments.  I don't know if they feel sorry for me because I'm so (let's call it .... organized) but I do get a lot of compliments on the jewelry and outfits.  Go figure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessylady wrote:

I don't understand why someone would not just buy it at the store if you are already there. If you try it on at the store, you would know it fits you without returns. Exception might be if they don't have your size/color or you were undecided. Please tell me why you order online in this situation.

@chessylady

The clothes that arrive from online stores are almost always brand new, freshly packaged and haven't been tried on by dozens or more women.  Also, most online sites offer discounts when you spend a certain amount of money - especially if you can find an online PROMO code. In addition, I've often found that the stores offer colors and patterns online that they don't even bother to stock in the store - so I might think I like the blue one, only to find that they offer it online in other colors that I like even better.

~ house cat ~