Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,021
Registered: ‎04-28-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

I'm afraid........probably wouldn't know how to protect my info, etc. Everything wanders all over the world, I've heard. If the 'friends' decide to make our posts public, then what we say and do ends up wherever they want it to go. ?? Too much stress, IMO.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,016
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/28/2014 PKB said:
On 10/28/2014 Perkup said:

DH and I were well advised years ago not to get involved with Facebook, Twitter, etc. We never have and we absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone wants to know what I had for lunch they can call me and ask. Otherwise, all my personal information stays personal.

LOL.....Advised by whom? Facebook has 1.23 billion monthly active users. Do you honestly think with that many active users, it's the nightmare, privacy stealing company you were warned about?

Didn't it ever occur to you that, since FB is FREE, they are making even more money than charging those 1.23 billion users a monthly fee? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Yes, you can make things relatively "private" to those that might access your FB page .... but FACEBOOK accesses EVERYTHING and can use the information any way they want. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

If Facebook started charging a monthly fee ..... say, $14.99 a month ...... would you keep it? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎10-01-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/29/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 10/28/2014 PKB said:

It depends on <em>their</em> settings. Normally when you post on someone's personal page, they can see it and their friends can see it, and depending on their settings, it's possible their friends friends can see it. Plus, YOUR friends can see it if your friends have their notifications set to follow you.

On a "Fan" page like the QVC hosts pages which are public, the world can see what you post as well as YOUR friends. So, because you have to use your real name and can't hide under an anonymous user ID like you can here. it's always a good idea not to leave personal, snarky or mean comments.

On my personal page, my setting are set that only friends can see what's posted on my page. I have my settings that if I'm tagged in someone's picture, post, comment, etc., it won't show on my page until I can approve it. On my account I can also delete any comments, pictures, ads, etc that I find rude, obscene. I can also block someone from seeing anything about me even if I post on a friends page and even if we're both friends of that person. In turn, I can't see anything they do either.

FB used to have a setting that allowed anyone to comment and have none of their friends see the comment. They took that feature away and I wondered if there was another way around that. I don't post on hosts' pages and would never "like" a host page to leave snarky, mean comments. That's just silly.

However, you are incorrect that you have to use your real name to post on FB. I know people who have a fake account set up just so they can "like" certain businesses, obtain coupons, etc. A couple posters on this board have said they have a second, fake account set up.

And if you don't think a lot of people have fake accounts set up because they are up to no good, you might want to watch the movie Catfish or even the tv show. Heck, even watch the news and see the stories about people scammed on FB.

They do. Under Privacy Settings, click on Edit, then "Who can see my stuff?"; click on the drop down box and under "More Options" you can then determine who can see what you post. Remember though, that option will be on for all of your posts until you change it.

My thinking on that is why not just message that person directly. And for those who set up a fake account just to post nasty comments can only do so on "FAN" pages......which makes them one step up from a Troll....... Unless someone is stupid enough to allow an anonymous person to be a friend.

You can also group your friends by "close friends", "family", "co workers", etc. Then when you post a status, you can decide which group it's for if you don't want all your friends to see it. Again, your option will stay that way until you change it back.

Super Contributor
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎10-01-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 10/28/2014 PKB said:
On 10/28/2014 Perkup said:

DH and I were well advised years ago not to get involved with Facebook, Twitter, etc. We never have and we absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone wants to know what I had for lunch they can call me and ask. Otherwise, all my personal information stays personal.

LOL.....Advised by whom? Facebook has 1.23 billion monthly active users. Do you honestly think with that many active users, it's the nightmare, privacy stealing company you were warned about?

Didn't it ever occur to you that, since FB is FREE, they are making even more money than charging those 1.23 billion users a monthly fee? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Yes, you can make things relatively "private" to those that might access your FB page .... but FACEBOOK accesses EVERYTHING and can use the information any way they want. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

If Facebook started charging a monthly fee ..... say, $14.99 a month ...... would you keep it? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

"FACEBOOK accesses EVERYTHING and can use the information any way they want."

Did it never occur to you Facebook gets their money from all those Ads that end up on the right hand side of the page as well as in the middle of your a Newsfeed? With the popularity of Facebook, those Ads cost a pretty penny which I'm sure they feel is worth it. But let me try this again......FACEBOOK CANT USE YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION UNLESS YOU SAY THEY CAN

Also QVC, HSN, Nordstrom, Sephora, etc., has your information! You think they use it? You think QVC doesn't know who you are on these Forums even though you use a posting ID? LOL, Seriously?

But your biggest information user is your COOKIES! They track everything you do on the internet, and you better have a good tracking, keystroke, spyware program. Personally I'd worry more about those people using my information than Facebook!

Anyway, would I pay $14.99 a month......yep. But since many people won't, the chance of Facebook charging is not something I think they're looking at.

Super Contributor
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎10-01-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/29/2014 songbird said:

Hate it. Used to be on (my husband and I) when it first came out. Got too invasive and you were losing your privacy. So we both dropped it. I'm mostly on twitter and Tumblr. I prefer them to Face Book.

OMG, I just fell off my chair in fits of laughter! Twitter is less invasive? Seriously?

People who claim they don't use Facebook is because they don't know how!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,230
Registered: ‎12-15-2011

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/30/2014 PKB said:
On 10/29/2014 songbird said:

Hate it. Used to be on (my husband and I) when it first came out. Got too invasive and you were losing your privacy. So we both dropped it. I'm mostly on twitter and Tumblr. I prefer them to Face Book.

OMG, I just fell off my chair in fits of laughter! Twitter is less invasive? Seriously?

People who claim they don't use Facebook is because they don't know how!

Blanketed statements are never true. I've been in the IT industry for 25 years...I know how to use Facebook and I choose not to. For me, there is absolutely nothing on it worth my precious free time.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎10-01-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/29/2014 Perkup said:
On 10/28/2014 PKB said:
On 10/28/2014 Perkup said:

DH and I were well advised years ago not to get involved with Facebook, Twitter, etc. We never have and we absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone wants to know what I had for lunch they can call me and ask. Otherwise, all my personal information stays personal.

LOL.....Advised by whom? Facebook has 1.23 billion monthly active users. Do you honestly think with that many active users, it's the nightmare, privacy stealing company you were warned about?

Advised by an exec. from a major corporation, who was and is very knowledgeable about the dangers involved with too much information on the Internet. Nothing on the Internet can really be considered "private".

As far as I am concerned those 1.23 billion monthly active users are putting it out there, and assuming that all those who check it out are well intentioned and supportive. Not so. Your private thoughts and information are more available than many think, and can and will be used in ways the users never anticipated or intended.

I will continue to avoid these social media sites, and feel strongly that I am making a prudent choice.

How many major corporations, Fortune 500 companies and their executives are on and using Facebook today? If you're using a computer to do anything on the internet, you might as well use Facebook, cause all your personal information is already floating around. And it doesn't matter if you use a fake name, posting ID, etc., you're real information can be found.

So I'll ask you......do you honestly think QVC doesn't know who you are on these forums? Bottom line......don't put anything on the internet you don't want anyone to find out or know!

Super Contributor
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎10-01-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/30/2014 kjohnson said:
On 10/30/2014 PKB said:
On 10/29/2014 songbird said:

Hate it. Used to be on (my husband and I) when it first came out. Got too invasive and you were losing your privacy. So we both dropped it. I'm mostly on twitter and Tumblr. I prefer them to Face Book.

OMG, I just fell off my chair in fits of laughter! Twitter is less invasive? Seriously?

People who claim they don't use Facebook is because they don't know how!

Blanketed statements are never true. I've been in the IT industry for 25 years...I know how to use Facebook and I choose not to. For me, there is absolutely nothing on it worth my precious free time.

But these Forums are says the person with over 1000 posts? Interesting......

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,230
Registered: ‎12-15-2011

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

On 10/30/2014 PKB said:
On 10/30/2014 kjohnson said:
On 10/30/2014 PKB said:
On 10/29/2014 songbird said:

Hate it. Used to be on (my husband and I) when it first came out. Got too invasive and you were losing your privacy. So we both dropped it. I'm mostly on twitter and Tumblr. I prefer them to Face Book.

OMG, I just fell off my chair in fits of laughter! Twitter is less invasive? Seriously?

People who claim they don't use Facebook is because they don't know how!

Blanketed statements are never true. I've been in the IT industry for 25 years...I know how to use Facebook and I choose not to. For me, there is absolutely nothing on it worth my precious free time.

But these Forums are says the person with over 1000 posts? Interesting......

Yea... over a 3 year period. Hardly a time killer.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 617
Registered: ‎03-27-2010

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

I would be just as concerned about posting on here, if you value your privacy.

This isn't a random message board where you're anonymous.The people behind the scenes here know exactly who you are, where you live and have a rough idea of your lifestyle/health and body issues/finances etc inasmuch as can be determined from your orders. Yet some people still post very personal details. They even say when they're going on holiday (hello - these people have got your address and you have no idea how secure it is!)