Respected Contributor

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

I'm not a Facebook participant. Shopping forums are as far as I go.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of things you can use FB for - I just make sure I'm not data-mined.

Trusted Contributor

LOVE IT !

Trusted Contributor

I love Facebook. I'm 61, so you don't have to be young to enjoy it. I've reconnected with a lot of my friends from high school (we were a close knit class back in 1971). Plus I have 4 grandchildren so I get to keep up with all that they are doing. :-) I hardly ever post pictures, at least not of myself. If I see a good "joke picture" I'll post it.

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 PKB said:

It depends on their settings. Normally when you post on someone's personal page, they can see it and their friends can see it, and depending on their settings, it's possible their friends friends can see it. Plus, YOUR friends can see it if your friends have their notifications set to follow you.

On a "Fan" page like the QVC hosts pages which are public, the world can see what you post as well as YOUR friends. So, because you have to use your real name and can't hide under an anonymous user ID like you can here. it's always a good idea not to leave personal, snarky or mean comments.

On my personal page, my setting are set that only friends can see what's posted on my page. I have my settings that if I'm tagged in someone's picture, post, comment, etc., it won't show on my page until I can approve it. On my account I can also delete any comments, pictures, ads, etc that I find rude, obscene. I can also block someone from seeing anything about me even if I post on a friends page and even if we're both friends of that person. In turn, I can't see anything they do either.

FB used to have a setting that allowed anyone to comment and have none of their friends see the comment. They took that feature away and I wondered if there was another way around that. I don't post on hosts' pages and would never "like" a host page to leave snarky, mean comments. That's just silly.

However, you are incorrect that you have to use your real name to post on FB. I know people who have a fake account set up just so they can "like" certain businesses, obtain coupons, etc. A couple posters on this board have said they have a second, fake account set up.

And if you don't think a lot of people have fake accounts set up because they are up to no good, you might want to watch the movie Catfish or even the tv show. Heck, even watch the news and see the stories about people scammed on FB.

Respected Contributor

On 10/28/2014 PKB said:
On 10/28/2014 Perkup said:

DH and I were well advised years ago not to get involved with Facebook, Twitter, etc. We never have and we absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone wants to know what I had for lunch they can call me and ask. Otherwise, all my personal information stays personal.

LOL.....Advised by whom? Facebook has 1.23 billion monthly active users. Do you honestly think with that many active users, it's the nightmare, privacy stealing company you were warned about?

Advised by an exec. from a major corporation, who was and is very knowledgeable about the dangers involved with too much information on the Internet. Nothing on the Internet can really be considered "private".

As far as I am concerned those 1.23 billion monthly active users are putting it out there, and assuming that all those who check it out are well intentioned and supportive. Not so. Your private thoughts and information are more available than many think, and can and will be used in ways the users never anticipated or intended.

I will continue to avoid these social media sites, and feel strongly that I am making a prudent choice.

Respected Contributor

I have an account because I follow several animal groups. I only gather information. I don't give any. You are not forced to give personal info, and the few questions you have to answer you can make it up, so it's really no big deal.

Valued Contributor

I think FB is what you make it. I started with it about 4 years ago. But due to some changes in how I wanted to communicate with family, I deleted my account. I don't regret being on there but I also don't regret getting off of it.

Honored Contributor

Hate it. Used to be on (my husband and I) when it first came out. Got too invasive and you were losing your privacy. So we both dropped it. I'm mostly on twitter and Tumblr. I prefer them to Face Book.

Honored Contributor

I'm afraid........probably wouldn't know how to protect my info, etc. Everything wanders all over the world, I've heard. If the 'friends' decide to make our posts public, then what we say and do ends up wherever they want it to go. ?? Too much stress, IMO.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).