Super Contributor

Re: Do you do FaceBook?? Your thoughts?

I have had a Facebook account since 2008. I have connected with cousins and family members who live 2500 miles away and haven't seen for years. We can now keep up with each other's families through photos, videos, etc.

I have connected with friends I went to school with, some all the way back to 8th grade.....co workers, networking with people who have and sell like interests. I like the fact I can determine who sees what I post, what pictures they can see, etc. I have three groups, so that some things that are only for family members, no one else can read or see. If I don't like what someone posted, I can hide it or delete it. In other words, it really is my page, my space and I can control it.

Super Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 10/26/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

People who think they can "control" their information and "privacy" obviously haven't read the TERMS OF USE they agreed to when they signed on ........ {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

<u>Facebook can use your information and sell it to whomever they want, whenever they want to.</u>

WHY do you think they don't charge a monthly fee? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

They are making a TON of money selling your information and patterns! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

And that's exactly why I don't do FB {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

There is nothing more annoying than those who think they know, but are totally clueless!

https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info

Public information When we use the phrase "public information" (which we sometimes refer to as "Everyone information"), we mean the information you choose to make public, as well as information that is always publicly available.

Super Contributor

Ah! The book that is sweet in the mouth but turns bitter in the belly...

I don't have a face. I'm a group of letters positioned strategically to fashion words which are interpreted subjectively in various ways based on the reader's self-imposed (mis)interpretation(s). Unable to inflict even a papercut, unless by self, the tender text be read.

Occasional Contributor

Yes & I love it

Honored Contributor

My cousin wanted me to join so I go to Facebook and start signing up but changed my mind, Facebook started up an account for me anyway. I really don't want all kinds of people knowing my life or hackers getting all my information. I say, no thank you, to Facebook.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 10/27/2014 PKB said:

People who think they can "control" their information and "privacy" obviously haven't read the TERMS OF USE they agreed to when they signed on ........ {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

<u>Facebook can use your information and sell it to whomever they want, whenever they want to.</u>

They are making a TON of money selling your information and patterns! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

There is nothing more annoying than those who think they know, but are totally clueless!

Public information When we use the phrase "public information" (which we sometimes refer to as "Everyone information"), we mean the information you choose to make public, as well as information that is always publicly available.

Since you seem to know a lot about this, is there a way that if you post to a certain page, no one can see what you post except those who also post on that page?

Respected Contributor

DH and I were well advised years ago not to get involved with Facebook, Twitter, etc. We never have and we absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone wants to know what I had for lunch they can call me and ask. Otherwise, all my personal information stays personal.

Super Contributor

On 10/28/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 10/27/2014 PKB said:

Since you seem to know a lot about this, is there a way that if you post to a certain page, no one can see what you post except those who also post on that page?

It depends on their settings. Normally when you post on someone's personal page, they can see it and their friends can see it, and depending on their settings, it's possible their friends friends can see it. Plus, YOUR friends can see it if your friends have their notifications set to follow you.

On a "Fan" page like the QVC hosts pages which are public, the world can see what you post as well as YOUR friends. So, because you have to use your real name and can't hide under an anonymous user ID like you can here. it's always a good idea not to leave personal, snarky or mean comments.

On my personal page, my setting are set that only friends can see what's posted on my page. I have my settings that if I'm tagged in someone's picture, post, comment, etc., it won't show on my page until I can approve it. On my account I can also delete any comments, pictures, ads, etc that I find rude, obscene. I can also block someone from seeing anything about me even if I post on a friends page and even if we're both friends of that person. In turn, I can't see anything they do either.

Super Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Perkup said:

DH and I were well advised years ago not to get involved with Facebook, Twitter, etc. We never have and we absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone wants to know what I had for lunch they can call me and ask. Otherwise, all my personal information stays personal.

LOL.....Advised by whom? Facebook has 1.23 billion monthly active users. Do you honestly think with that many active users, it's the nightmare, privacy stealing company you were warned about?

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/28/2014 PKB said:
On 10/28/2014 Perkup said:

LOL.....Advised by whom? Facebook has 1.23 billion monthly active users. Do you honestly think with that many active users, it's the nightmare, privacy stealing company you were warned about?

It has been on the news recently that the next big hack job will most likely be to facebook. Not sure why you feel it can't happen when Wall Street financial giants fall victim.