Valued Contributor

Re: Do you copy celebrity looks?

No. I dress the way I want to dress. I have a style of my own.

Honored Contributor

I don't think having one's own style is wiped out by taking a look from someone or someplace.  Everything, everyone, every place can be an inspiration.  It's how an individual makes use of it that makes it one's own.

Even great artists had to learn techniques from others.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I don't think having one's own style is wiped out by taking a look from someone or someplace.  Everything, everyone, every place can be an inspiration.  It's how an individual makes use of it that makes it one's own.

Even great artists had to learn techniques from others.

@GingerPeach 

I guess that means that those threads every other day asking what a host or vendor is wearing means the OP has no personal style?! Woman Frustrated

Unless we're wearing uniforms WE ALL wear what we want to; what makes us happy. Just because someone else may have the same piece or pieces doesn't make us any less of an individual

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I admit that I have been a fashionista practically all my life.  There's a post showing a celebrity in black & White outfit and that grabbed me.  I'll "tweek it" for my life"  I have all the pieces but my trench is pearl gray so I'll do that same outfit in black & gray.  I can pull that look off and I don't have buy anything.  I do that a lot now.  It's fun and I think it keeps me from falling into a fashion rut.  My "rule" is that I can only use pieces I already own. I won't go out and buy something to create the look.  Does anyone else do this?   

No but I like your idea.

Honored Contributor

There are times when I've seen either a celebrity or an everyday person putting something together I never would have thought to pair together and I will replicate the look.  Like you, only if I already own the pieces.

Trusted Contributor

No, I was taught to keep my breasts INSIDE my clothes. 😁

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't copy an entire outfit, but often keep my eyes open for a similar look that I see a celeb wearing. 

as for my hair....I totally copy Jane Fonda!   We both have fine, but full hair.  Same color.  When I got my long hair cut short a few years ago, I brought a photo of her short cut to my stylist.  I've enjoyed that look, but want to grow it out a bit more now.  Fortunately, Jane has let her hair grow, too, so I found a newer photo of her with longer hair, printed it and brought it to my stylist.  So....still copying her, and liking the results.😊

Honored Contributor

Sometimes if they wear a clothing or jewelry item that's affordable and I love it I'll buy it. And I see general ideas for outfits that might inspire me.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

I guess if you want to copy their look by using items in your closet, that's a good thing. The only advice I ever considered taking was from Joan Rivers. I'm glad to see blazers again, because I liked her classic look of blazers and slacks, accented with beautiful jewelry.

Honored Contributor

Never.  Actually, I never copy anyone style.  I prefer my own.