Respected Contributor

Re: Do you buy your bras according to your skin color?

@CoG wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I'm watching PM style and when the Soma bra vendor was giving her description of the bra she was selling I am sure I heard her say one color bra was perfect for darker skin tones. Anyone else hear that?  I have never purchased a bra based on my skin color, I buy what I like no matter what color. As a matter of fact I like a variety of colors. I would not buy anything with wild glowing colors however. I just never thought of buying bras that way and never heard of that before. Am I missing something here ? Just wondered.  

what you haven’t considered is that not all of us are white, nude or pink.  For me mahogany is “nude”.  White or traditional nude bras stand out like neon under anything that isn’t absolutely opaque.  The representative was being more inclusive than any of the responders to this post.

So sad in this day and Age of Enlightenment.

Actually, several of the responses mentioned that "nude" is not the same for everyone and praised some of the lingerie companies for having a wider range of skintone colors.

Super Contributor

@

I buy some bras that match my skin color and I wear them under tops where the bra color might show. 

But under everything else I wear dark or bright or pastel or prints. I’m the only one who knows and it is so much more fun!

Same here. Most of my bras are prints or colors, but I do have a couple of beige and white to wear with tops that will showcase my bra.

Honored Contributor

Well, of course.  The ones closest to a person's skin color are for times they wear something that they don't want it to show through, or at least not be blatant about showing through.

With darker tops, then any color goes.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I buy bras close to my skintone to use as my nude.  The usual beige nude many vendors refer to as nude is not nude for me.  Otherwise, I buy bras in different colors, but for some reason navy is my favorite bra color. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, bras and other undergarments, so they are less likely to show through clothes.

Respected Contributor

I stick with a nude color.

I do also like a pale pink or a pale gray though also for something different and they can go under anything but white. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Yes, but to be a true match white would be closer than most nudes or pale beiges. 😳 My other must is matching panties. I do have fun color sets in red, grey, black and wedgewood blue, but can only wear those under darker colors.

I also like lacy, feminine underwear. TMI. My clothing is rather tailored and menswear inspired. This gives me a touch of “girly”. 

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I'm watching PM style and when the Soma bra vendor was giving her description of the bra she was selling I am sure I heard her say one color bra was perfect for darker skin tones. Anyone else hear that?  I have never purchased a bra based on my skin color, I buy what I like no matter what color. As a matter of fact I like a variety of colors. I would not buy anything with wild glowing colors however. I just never thought of buying bras that way and never heard of that before. Am I missing something here ? Just wondered.  

Absolutely! That's why every lingerie vendor sells "nude" shades. Unfortunately, darker skin tones are left out having to select black, rather than a chocolate or mocha shade which would offer us the same benefit of having easily concealed undergarments. 

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Yes. I buy most clothing with consideration for my coloring.I don't look good in every color available.

I generally purchase (caucasian) nude or black when it comes to bras. I play more when it comes to panties..