Honored Contributor

Re: Do you buy your bras according to your skin color?

The "fun" colors seem to sell out early, so I end up with nude or black most of the time.  I haven't bought a white bra in over 10 years.  My only worry is dark colored bras showing up under light or thin tops.  If necessary I will put on a cami if I can't come up with the proper bra.  

Honored Contributor

Nope, I have a avariety of colors, 

Nude

Black

White

Pink

Several in the nude and white, since those are the ones that seem to fade faster.....   

Respected Contributor

I always have numberous "nude" colored  bras on hand. And lots of fun colors too. And numerous black bras too.  I can never have too many.  I am a lingerie hoarder.  Don't even get me started on undies!  I usually opt for a bra that cannot be detected under the clothing. But sometimes I wear a black lacy one that can show though a little bit of a lighter colored top when it's date night.  I like that look!

Respected Contributor

No, that thought has never entered my mind when purchasing bras. The color of my clothing determines my bra coloring. I have black, white, tan, purple, teal, brown and a green one for St. Patrick's Day.  Bras are an article of clothing. I don't have all the same colored shirts or pants. I look at bras the same way.

Honored Contributor

Yes, some of them.  I have some pastels but I also have neutrals that are close to my skin color.  The same with camisoles and panties,  I have some that are close to my skin color.  Companies are now more inclusive when it comes to neutral or skin tone undies.

Trusted Contributor

My mom always wore a white bra, so I grew-up being like mom and wearing white.

I wore a pretty off white above the knee dress when I got married.  When my now husband saw me for the first time on our wedding day, I would of hoped the first thing he would of said to me was how pretty I looked; however, instead he said "I can see your bra!". 

At that time, I did not know about wearing a nude colored bra to prevent it from showing through when wearing light colored clothing!   

Oh well, as they say - live and learn!    Needless to say, I wear nude now all the time, except if I'm wearing a black top, then I wear a black bra.

Respected Contributor

I like to have a variety of colors.

Contributor

I own a ton of bras. I like to have my bra match whatever color shirt  or blouse I am wearing. That way if the bra strap shows which sometimes it does it is the same color. I change out my bras and panties in the summer and winter. In the summer I have light bright colors like turquoise, coral, lilac, yellow.etc. In the winter I have dark colors loke burgundy, gray, navy etc. I always buy more  black and nude colors. I do not match my bra to my skin color. How boring!!!! Cannot imagine having a draw full of nude bras.JMO

Esteemed Contributor

I don't really pay attention to the shade or depth of color a nude bra has. What I don't ever wear is a white bra or panties. I don't own any white underwear except some white camisoles to layer over a bra.

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I'm watching PM style and when the Soma bra vendor was giving her description of the bra she was selling I am sure I heard her say one color bra was perfect for darker skin tones. Anyone else hear that?  I have never purchased a bra based on my skin color, I buy what I like no matter what color. As a matter of fact I like a variety of colors. I would not buy anything with wild glowing colors however. I just never thought of buying bras that way and never heard of that before. Am I missing something here ? Just wondered.  

what you haven’t considered is that not all of us are white, nude or pink.  For me mahogany is “nude”.  White or traditional nude bras stand out like neon under anything that isn’t absolutely opaque.  The representative was being more inclusive than any of the responders to this post.

So sad in this day and Age of Enlightenment.