Super Contributor

Re: Do you buy/wear clothes to get complements?

Sometimes I get compliments, actually a lot. But I am artistic and I think I can put a outfit together. Not the greatest talent in the world, but I just like clothes and styling. If I look good, I feel good. That what I dress for. I used to dress quite frumpy, in darker days, but that has changed, thank goodness.
Honored Contributor

I buy clothes for me. If I get a compliment, great.

Contributor

I usually buy and wear clothes so as not to get arrested.

Super Contributor

For me and me only!

Respected Contributor

It would be very sad if there were people who were purchasing items simply for the sake (anticipation, hope & need) of compliments. Only very insecure people would do this.

Trusted Contributor

I like what Desertdi said. I dress for my amusement. I want my clothes & accessories to make me feel like standing taller and to put a smile on my face. Sometimes it's a sly inner smile because I just feel so darn confident and happy. So, I don't really wear an outfit because I think it looks good on me. It's about how I feel in an outfit, physically and emotionally.
Esteemed Contributor

Nope. . .never been one to go fishing for compliments but when I get compliments I hope it's about something more substantive than what I'm wearing.

I agree that it's weird when the hosts/vendors ask callers about things like that. Sometimes I guess they're just trying to come up with something to say. If that's the case, maybe they shouldn't have so many phone calls.

Super Contributor

Absolutely never. And I'm being totally honest with myself.

It's especially apt, as I'm rarely out in public (lack of personal autonomy for the last several years), and no one ever comes over, so I really have no idea what I look like to others. There's never any validation, which is what we all subconsciously seek. Unusual, huh?

But I have to admit that it would be nice to get a compliment now and then, plus I've always appreciated constructive criticism as it's objective.

Now if only I was a needy attention who*re, taking and posting selfies all the time, I could finally find out how my looks rate. Wink

NOT.

Trusted Contributor

I like complements from my husband and kids, but basically I wear what I like and feel good wearing. We don't always agree - and my kids let me know !
Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Oneanddone said:

I buy my clothes because I like them. No other reason.

TA. That question is so ""out there"" it doesn't deserve a reply. Who dreamed that one up?