Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you buy "backup" shoes?

I absolutely do this. Years ago I purchased a pair of shoes that were my dream shoes....extremely comfortable and got tons of compliments every time I wore them. Decided to go back and purchase several more pairs....they were sold out and never got anymore in stock. Seems like I wasn't the only one that loved them. So, lesson learned....when I find shoes that check all the boxes on my dream shoe list, I purchase several in black and the maybe another color.

The same goes for jeans and pants...l know I'll wear them and don't want to chance them being discontinued.

Honored Contributor

I have purchased the same style in a different color, but never the same one as a back-up.  As another poster stated, there's always another style to discover out there.  However, if I was a more rare size - like another poster said she was a 12N, then I definitely would consider back up purchases.  I'm a size 8 - a size that is always available out there.

Respected Contributor

I have a pair now that I sure wish I WOULD have! now they are wearing out, and I cannot find them!

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker  - Have you checked Ebay?

Honored Contributor

Years ago I worked for the company and we wore a costume. We had to wear plain white sneakers. It was tough finding plain white sneakers without some design. And we never knew what would be acceptable to our Manager.

I found plain white sneakers. So I bought 2 pair, I was thrilled. That the sneakers were plain and white. A few months later our costumes changed and we were to wear plain black sneakers. Woman Frustrated

As I was purging stuff in my closet awhile ago, I found the pristine plain white sneakers.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I do. When i find an oustanding pair of shoes that really fit my narrow feet, i often buy a 2nd or 3rd  identical pair. I am always afraid that the style will be discontinued (and they usually do at some point). i am curious if anybody else does this......

@Goldengate8361   My hand is raised. I often purchase a second pr. of Clark's sandals or flats in a different color when they are comfie w/ lots of support. 

Honored Contributor

In the past I have purchased back up shoes in the same style and color. I have also bought the same shoe in a few different colors. I don’t have any exact duplicates right now, but I do own 2 different colors of the same ballet flat and 2 different colors of the same pump. I am very picky about shoes so if I find one I like I will buy multiple colors. 

Valued Contributor

I sure do!  Otherwise I can't enjoy wearing the shoes I love.  Have to know if something happens to them I have another pair.

I do the same with jeans, since it's so hard to find a great fitting pair.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361  You have company!  I also have very narrow feet--7.5--4A toe and 5A heel so when I find something that fits, is attractive, and comfortable, whether casual or dressy, I do buy at least one more pair, if not two.

Shoes that make you happy and feel good will always get used and sometimes they change the style so radically that you can be "out of luck" finding shoes that fit for several seasons.  

Remember the extreme pointy toe shoes in the early 2000s?  That was pretty much all that was available so no new shoe purchases during that time.  Glad I had my stash of tried and true styles available until that fad was over.

I'm still looking for a pair of black LaCanadienne boots that had a flat sole, faux fur foldover cuff, just about 4 inches the ankle style.  

They were pretty but excellent in real New England snowstorms and dressy enough to wear with a long wool coat.  I literally wore them out and have never found a replacement.  Think the model name was Felicia or Felicity.  

I even bought a variety of faux fur cuffs in several styles to cover where the original attached ones had worn down to bald spots.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

No, I do not buy back-up shoes because it is fun to constantly discover something new.

However, I do confess to having bought the same pair of sparkly Inc. pump heels at Macy's in three different colors (black, gold, copper) because they are glamorous, comfortable and economical!

Whenever you find comfortable pair of pumps you have to gab them lol